Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh, Priyanka Chopra and Sanjay Leela Bhansali to be Arrested?
By Ankita Mehta | May 4, 2014 9:51 PM EST
A local court has issued arrest warrants against director-producer Sanjay Leela Bhansali, actors Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh and Priyanka Chopra, six months after the release of "Goliyon Ki Raasleela Ram-leela".
The order was issued on Friday in relation to a case, which alleged that a few scenes in the film hurt religious sentiments of a community.
Chief Judicial Magistrate (CJM) SP Singh ordered Mumbai Police Commissioner on Friday to arrest the actors and the director of the film, and produce them in court on 4 June, Press Trust of India reported.
Last year in November, advocate Sudhir Kumar Ojha had filed a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) in the court, stating that a few scenes in the film hurt the religious sentiments of a community.
The arrest warrant was based on the PIL filed by Ojha. On 14 February, CJM took notice of the case and summoned the actors and the director. But since the actors and director did not turn up, CMJ issued arrest warrants against them.
"Ram-leela", starring Padukone and Singh in the lead, was released on 15 November worldwide. The film, directed by Bhansali, is a desi version of Shakespeare's classic "Romeo and Juliet".
The film landed in some controversy before its release last year. Members of Rajput community filed a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) in the Gujarat High Court, stating that the film portrayed their community in a negative light.
During the promotion campaign of the film, Padukone had visited Ahmedabad to attend a garba function, where a group of people were waiting to throw eggs and tomatoes at her. However, the actress managed to escape public embarrassment at the event. [Read the full story here]
After drawing much anger from the Rajput community, the film faced trouble over its title as well. Delhi court had ordered to stop the release of the film, based on the complaints filed by petitioners, including a Hindu group.
The film, originally titled "Ram-leela", was released only after the title was changed to "Goliyon Ki Raasleela Ram-leela".
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- The Bold and the Beautiful Spoilers for July 31, 2014: Plans, Conditions and Ultimatums in B&B [WATCH VIDEO]
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools