61st National Award Winners Honoured
By sangeetha seshagiri | May 4, 2014 9:02 PM EST
Indian President Pranab Mukerjee honoured the winners of the 61st National Awards for the year 2013 at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi, on 3 May.
The winners of the National Awards were announced last month. Actors Rajkummar Rao and Suraj Venjaramoodu shared the Best Actor award for their performances in "Shahid" and "Perariyathavar", respectively.
Anand Gandhi's "Ship of Theseus" won Best Feature Film, whereas "Bhaag Milkha Bhaag" bagged the award for Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment. To check out the complete list of winners, click HERE.
The awardees were honoured at a ceremony held on Saturday. They received their trophies from the President.
Speaking on the occasion, the President said: "Besides being a strong medium of expression, cinema is a vehicle of influence and persuasion for the youth. When our children witness scenes depicting violence and bloodshed, it does affect their psyche. It is incumbent on our film makers to make a concerted effort to distinguish between what clearly is an art form and what is not. The cinematic content of films should have a desirable impact on the social behaviour of people, especially the new generation."
"Faced with erosion of values in today's context, cinema should play a catalytic role in resetting our moral compass. Our film makers should deploy their creative efforts to present and propagate core values such as patriotism, respect for women, compassion and tolerance, and honesty and discipline. He stated that he was hopeful that everyone associated with the film industry would use their talent and artistic pursuits to create meaningful and socially relevant cinema," he added, according to a press statement.
The Dadasaheb Phalke Award was also presented during the event. Veteran lyricist Gulzar received the award for his contribution to Indian cinema.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Reports: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Pince Harry Somber - Reports
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On