IPL 7 News: Karun Nair Hails Skipper Watson's Tremendous Support
By Shruthi SU | May 4, 2014 7:15 PM EST
Even after playing a crucial role in Karnataka's Ranji trophy victory recently, Rajasthan Royals' Karun Nair needed to have a man-of-the-match performance, like he did on Saturday night, to prove his ability in front of a larger audience.
The 22-year-old hailed skipper Shane Watson's tremendous support for his success so far in the IPL. The right-hand batsman played a knock to remember - an unbeaten 73 off 50 - to help RR manage a seven-wicket win over hosts Delhi Daredevils, in their first match in the Indian leg of the IPL 7.
"Watto [Watson] and the support staff really gave me the confidence and that really helped," Nair told in the post-match press conference. "I think he encourages us a lot. We play as a team and don't depend on any particular player. That's why I think we win most of the games playing as a team. Every one contributes to the team."
With scores of 8 and 1 in his previous two outings, Nair started cautiously and hit the accelerator, after the wicket of Sanju Samson fell at the other end, halfway through his innings.
"There is always a hint of pressure with every player," Nair admitted. "I was just looking to give myself a bit of time. I just thought I would stay till the end and play to the merit of the ball."
Asked if opening the batting for the Royals was a tough role after being a middle-order batsman for Karnataka, Nair said he was a natural opener.
"I was an opener first," Nair, who hit the winning six for Karnataka to end the state's 15-years Ranji drought, said. "At age group levels I was always an opener but there was no opening slot in Karnataka Ranji team so I had to come down the other. I think I adjusted really well."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon