IPL 7 News: Karun Nair Hails Skipper Watson's Tremendous Support
By Shruthi SU | May 4, 2014 7:15 PM EST
Even after playing a crucial role in Karnataka's Ranji trophy victory recently, Rajasthan Royals' Karun Nair needed to have a man-of-the-match performance, like he did on Saturday night, to prove his ability in front of a larger audience.
The 22-year-old hailed skipper Shane Watson's tremendous support for his success so far in the IPL. The right-hand batsman played a knock to remember - an unbeaten 73 off 50 - to help RR manage a seven-wicket win over hosts Delhi Daredevils, in their first match in the Indian leg of the IPL 7.
"Watto [Watson] and the support staff really gave me the confidence and that really helped," Nair told in the post-match press conference. "I think he encourages us a lot. We play as a team and don't depend on any particular player. That's why I think we win most of the games playing as a team. Every one contributes to the team."
With scores of 8 and 1 in his previous two outings, Nair started cautiously and hit the accelerator, after the wicket of Sanju Samson fell at the other end, halfway through his innings.
"There is always a hint of pressure with every player," Nair admitted. "I was just looking to give myself a bit of time. I just thought I would stay till the end and play to the merit of the ball."
Asked if opening the batting for the Royals was a tough role after being a middle-order batsman for Karnataka, Nair said he was a natural opener.
"I was an opener first," Nair, who hit the winning six for Karnataka to end the state's 15-years Ranji drought, said. "At age group levels I was always an opener but there was no opening slot in Karnataka Ranji team so I had to come down the other. I think I adjusted really well."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier