18 Dead, Several Injured as Diva-Sawantwadi Express Derails in Raigad, Maharashtra
By sangeetha seshagiri | May 4, 2014 6:36 PM EST
At least 18 passengers are dead and more than 100 injured as the engine and four coaches of the Diva-Sawantwadi Express derailed on Sunday morning, near Nagothane in Raigad district, Maharashtra.
Passenger traind derails in Maharashtra (Reuters)
The incident took place at around 9.30 am in a tunnel, when the bogies and the engine derailed between Nagothane and Roha stations on the Konkan railway route.
Rescue teams have rushed to the spot and the locals are understood to be helping them in the operation. The injured have been shifted to Roha for medical treatment.
There are reports that parts of the train were struck inside the tunnel. However, central railways public relations officer AK Singh has denied it.
"This is not true. The train had crossed the tunnel before it got derailed. Several people have been injured and we are trying to get more details about the passengers," Singh was quoted as saying by the The Times of India.
Coaches of the Diva-Sawantwadi passenger train which derailed near Nagothane(Raigad district), Maharashtra pic.twitter.com/4b6vogNZ1E— ANI (@ANI_news) May 4, 2014
The railway ministry has announced that the families of the victims will be given a compensation of ₹2 lakh, ₹50,000 to those who are grievously injured and ₹10,000 to passengers with minor injuries.
Following the derailment, passenger-carrying trains on the Konana railway route have been cancelled/short terminated/diverted. In a press release from the Konkan railway, it has been stated that the passengers of the cancelled/terminated trains will be given refunds.
The following train has been cancelled
1. 12052 Janshatabdi Express on 04/05/2014
The following trains have been short terminated
1. 10104 Madgaon- CSTM Mandovi Exp on 04/05/2014 at Thivim.
2. 50106 Sawantwadi-DIVA Passenger on 04/05/2014 at Ratnagiri.
3. 50104 Ratnagiri - Dadar on 04/05/2014 at Roha.
The following trains will be diverted
Train no. 12617 Ernakulam-Nizamuddin Mangala Exp which left Ernakulam on 3/5/2014
Train no. 16346 Trivandum - LTT Netravati Exp which left Trivandrum on 3/5/2014
Train no. 16312 Kochuveli - Bikaner Exp which left Kochuveli on 3/5/2014
Train no. 22476 Coimbatore - Bikaner AC Exp which left Coimbatore on 4/5/2014
Konkan railway officials have rushed to the accident spot to help in the rescue operations.
Passengers can call on 02352- 228176 / 228951 / 228954 to get details.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Australia's Direct Action Policy To Increase Projected Emmisions By 2020 -- UN Report
- Canadian Soldier Dies in 'Freak Accident' at Work
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues