Box Office: 'Race Gurram' Crosses ₹50-Crore Mark; Legend Earns over ₹37 Crore in 5 Weeks
By sangeetha seshagiri | May 4, 2014 4:34 PM EST
Allu Arjun's family entertainer "Race Gurram" has reportedly crossed the ₹50-crore mark at the worldwide box office.
"Race Gurram" has already surpassed Prabha's "Mirchi" collections (₹47.45 crore), and is all set to beat Mahesh Babu-Venkatesh's "Seethamma Vakitlo Sirimalle Chettu" ("SVSC") figures, which stand at ₹51 crore.
The family entertainer has made it to the list of top 10 grossers in Tollywood, which has big films like "Attarintiki Daredi", "Magadheera", "Gabbar Singh", "Dookudu", "SVSC", "Mirchi", "Yevadu", "Baadshah" and "Naayak".
"Race Gurram" is Arjun's first film to enter the ₹50-crore club (worldwide share); a rare feat that only a very few Telugu heroes - including Mahesh Babu, Venkatesh, Pawan Kalyan and Ram Charan - have achieved.
The film has turned out to be the biggest hit of the year (so far), beating "Yevadu", which had raked in ₹47.1 crore in its full run at the worldwide box office. So far, "Race Gurram" has enjoyed a fantastic run but it remains to be seen how the film fares in the coming days due to new releases.
On Thursday (1 May), two new films - Allu Sirish's "Kotha Janta" and Nayanthara's "Nee Enge En Anbe" - will hit the screens. Both films received decent reviews and their performances might affect "Race Gurram" business. Moreover, Rajinikanth's "Vikramasimha" ("Kochadaiiyaan" in Tamil) is all set to hit the screens on Friday (9 May). The film will release on a massive scale, which would reduce the screen count for other releases, including "Race Gurram", and will cause a decline in their collections.
N Balakrishna's "Legend" is still running in theatres, even after five weeks of its release. The film has reportedly minted ₹37.95 crore worldwide (share) at the end of the fifth week, according to Andhraboxoffice website.
"Legend" is one of the biggest hits in Balakrishna's career. The film, which released on 28 March, opened to good response at the box office. Though there have been several releases in the last month, "Legend" managed to hold on to some screens and scored decent collections.
The film failed to make it to the top 10 Telugu grossers list but it did enter the top 20 list. The Balakrishna starrer has reportedly taken the 16th spot, beating films such as "Pokkiri", "Arundati", "Dammu" and "Cameraman Gangatho Rambabu".
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop