Box Office: 'Race Gurram' Crosses ₹50-Crore Mark; Legend Earns over ₹37 Crore in 5 Weeks
By sangeetha seshagiri | May 4, 2014 4:34 PM EST
Allu Arjun's family entertainer "Race Gurram" has reportedly crossed the ₹50-crore mark at the worldwide box office.
"Race Gurram" has already surpassed Prabha's "Mirchi" collections (₹47.45 crore), and is all set to beat Mahesh Babu-Venkatesh's "Seethamma Vakitlo Sirimalle Chettu" ("SVSC") figures, which stand at ₹51 crore.
The family entertainer has made it to the list of top 10 grossers in Tollywood, which has big films like "Attarintiki Daredi", "Magadheera", "Gabbar Singh", "Dookudu", "SVSC", "Mirchi", "Yevadu", "Baadshah" and "Naayak".
"Race Gurram" is Arjun's first film to enter the ₹50-crore club (worldwide share); a rare feat that only a very few Telugu heroes - including Mahesh Babu, Venkatesh, Pawan Kalyan and Ram Charan - have achieved.
The film has turned out to be the biggest hit of the year (so far), beating "Yevadu", which had raked in ₹47.1 crore in its full run at the worldwide box office. So far, "Race Gurram" has enjoyed a fantastic run but it remains to be seen how the film fares in the coming days due to new releases.
On Thursday (1 May), two new films - Allu Sirish's "Kotha Janta" and Nayanthara's "Nee Enge En Anbe" - will hit the screens. Both films received decent reviews and their performances might affect "Race Gurram" business. Moreover, Rajinikanth's "Vikramasimha" ("Kochadaiiyaan" in Tamil) is all set to hit the screens on Friday (9 May). The film will release on a massive scale, which would reduce the screen count for other releases, including "Race Gurram", and will cause a decline in their collections.
N Balakrishna's "Legend" is still running in theatres, even after five weeks of its release. The film has reportedly minted ₹37.95 crore worldwide (share) at the end of the fifth week, according to Andhraboxoffice website.
"Legend" is one of the biggest hits in Balakrishna's career. The film, which released on 28 March, opened to good response at the box office. Though there have been several releases in the last month, "Legend" managed to hold on to some screens and scored decent collections.
The film failed to make it to the top 10 Telugu grossers list but it did enter the top 20 list. The Balakrishna starrer has reportedly taken the 16th spot, beating films such as "Pokkiri", "Arundati", "Dammu" and "Cameraman Gangatho Rambabu".
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Episode 11 On Hold, Return Date, Title And Synopsis Of New Episode
- ‘The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies’ New Images Of Bard And Smaug In Battle
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers – ‘Coda’: Midseason Finale Is ‘Heartbreaking’ And ‘Gut-Wrenching’
- 'Arrow' Season 3 Updates: Oliver Queen And Team Go To Barry Allen's Central City (Spoilers)
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Spoilers: Ramsay Bolton
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Best Buy,Target And Amazon Offer Huge Discounts On Tablets Like iPad Air 2, Shield Tablet, Surface Pro 3 And More
- Canada Jetlines Files For C$50 Million Airline IPO