Box Office: 'Race Gurram' Crosses ₹50-Crore Mark; Legend Earns over ₹37 Crore in 5 Weeks
By sangeetha seshagiri | May 4, 2014 4:34 PM EST
Allu Arjun's family entertainer "Race Gurram" has reportedly crossed the ₹50-crore mark at the worldwide box office.
"Race Gurram" has already surpassed Prabha's "Mirchi" collections (₹47.45 crore), and is all set to beat Mahesh Babu-Venkatesh's "Seethamma Vakitlo Sirimalle Chettu" ("SVSC") figures, which stand at ₹51 crore.
The family entertainer has made it to the list of top 10 grossers in Tollywood, which has big films like "Attarintiki Daredi", "Magadheera", "Gabbar Singh", "Dookudu", "SVSC", "Mirchi", "Yevadu", "Baadshah" and "Naayak".
"Race Gurram" is Arjun's first film to enter the ₹50-crore club (worldwide share); a rare feat that only a very few Telugu heroes - including Mahesh Babu, Venkatesh, Pawan Kalyan and Ram Charan - have achieved.
The film has turned out to be the biggest hit of the year (so far), beating "Yevadu", which had raked in ₹47.1 crore in its full run at the worldwide box office. So far, "Race Gurram" has enjoyed a fantastic run but it remains to be seen how the film fares in the coming days due to new releases.
On Thursday (1 May), two new films - Allu Sirish's "Kotha Janta" and Nayanthara's "Nee Enge En Anbe" - will hit the screens. Both films received decent reviews and their performances might affect "Race Gurram" business. Moreover, Rajinikanth's "Vikramasimha" ("Kochadaiiyaan" in Tamil) is all set to hit the screens on Friday (9 May). The film will release on a massive scale, which would reduce the screen count for other releases, including "Race Gurram", and will cause a decline in their collections.
N Balakrishna's "Legend" is still running in theatres, even after five weeks of its release. The film has reportedly minted ₹37.95 crore worldwide (share) at the end of the fifth week, according to Andhraboxoffice website.
"Legend" is one of the biggest hits in Balakrishna's career. The film, which released on 28 March, opened to good response at the box office. Though there have been several releases in the last month, "Legend" managed to hold on to some screens and scored decent collections.
The film failed to make it to the top 10 Telugu grossers list but it did enter the top 20 list. The Balakrishna starrer has reportedly taken the 16th spot, beating films such as "Pokkiri", "Arundati", "Dammu" and "Cameraman Gangatho Rambabu".
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Young and the Restless July 28- August 1 Spoilers, Cast News: Updates on Devon, Hilary, Chelsea, Billy, Jack, Phyllis Plus Criminal Minds Actor Returns
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Spoilers: Daenerys Targaryen vs Yezzan, Nymeria Sand Actress Announced at Comic Con 2014
- Sons of Anarchy Charlie Hunnam Heartbroken about Walking Away from Fifty Shades of Grey [VIDEO]
- The Walking Dead Season 5 Official Trailer Released Plus Premiere Date, Spoilers: Gun Battle, Zombies, Beth Greene [VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]