Boxing News 2014: Mayweather Wins in Close Fight vs Maidana; Ups Record to 46-0
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 4, 2014 3:43 PM EST
American boxer Floyd Mayweather, the 11-1 favourite, as expectedly won over Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana in a close fight on Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada for the WBC/WBA title.
Money May won by a majority decision, with the judges scoring the reunification match 114-114. 117-111 and 116-112 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXbQmGrTdUk). With his latest ring victory, Mayweather upped his record with a perfect 46-0.
However, it wasn't an easy victory for Mayweather who admitted after the fight that he couldn't see for two rounds because of the cut on his right eye courtesy of Maidana in round 4.
Mayweather admitted that Maidana was a tough opponent, saying, "Normally, I blow a guy out. He was a very good fighter."
However, Maidana believes he won the fight (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyKto7KCKYc) and said, quoted by The Telegraph, "I thought I won. Floyd didn't fight like a man like I expected him to do."
With the guaranteed purse of $32 million for Money May, the pound-for-pound king earned at least $888,888 per minute, but with pay-per-view revenues, Mayweather's wealth is expected to grow by at least another $50 million.
Maidana earned $1.5 million, his biggest purse so far.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet