Boxing News 2014: Mayweather Wins in Close Fight vs Maidana; Ups Record to 46-0
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 4, 2014 3:43 PM EST
American boxer Floyd Mayweather, the 11-1 favourite, as expectedly won over Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana in a close fight on Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada for the WBC/WBA title.
Money May won by a majority decision, with the judges scoring the reunification match 114-114. 117-111 and 116-112 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXbQmGrTdUk). With his latest ring victory, Mayweather upped his record with a perfect 46-0.
However, it wasn't an easy victory for Mayweather who admitted after the fight that he couldn't see for two rounds because of the cut on his right eye courtesy of Maidana in round 4.
Mayweather admitted that Maidana was a tough opponent, saying, "Normally, I blow a guy out. He was a very good fighter."
However, Maidana believes he won the fight (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyKto7KCKYc) and said, quoted by The Telegraph, "I thought I won. Floyd didn't fight like a man like I expected him to do."
With the guaranteed purse of $32 million for Money May, the pound-for-pound king earned at least $888,888 per minute, but with pay-per-view revenues, Mayweather's wealth is expected to grow by at least another $50 million.
Maidana earned $1.5 million, his biggest purse so far.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks