Boxing News 2014: Mayweather Wins in Close Fight vs Maidana; Ups Record to 46-0
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 4, 2014 3:43 PM EST
American boxer Floyd Mayweather, the 11-1 favourite, as expectedly won over Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana in a close fight on Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada for the WBC/WBA title.
Money May won by a majority decision, with the judges scoring the reunification match 114-114. 117-111 and 116-112 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXbQmGrTdUk). With his latest ring victory, Mayweather upped his record with a perfect 46-0.
However, it wasn't an easy victory for Mayweather who admitted after the fight that he couldn't see for two rounds because of the cut on his right eye courtesy of Maidana in round 4.
Mayweather admitted that Maidana was a tough opponent, saying, "Normally, I blow a guy out. He was a very good fighter."
However, Maidana believes he won the fight (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyKto7KCKYc) and said, quoted by The Telegraph, "I thought I won. Floyd didn't fight like a man like I expected him to do."
With the guaranteed purse of $32 million for Money May, the pound-for-pound king earned at least $888,888 per minute, but with pay-per-view revenues, Mayweather's wealth is expected to grow by at least another $50 million.
Maidana earned $1.5 million, his biggest purse so far.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen