Boxing News 2014: Mayweather Wins in Close Fight vs Maidana; Ups Record to 46-0
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 4, 2014 3:43 PM EST
American boxer Floyd Mayweather, the 11-1 favourite, as expectedly won over Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana in a close fight on Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada for the WBC/WBA title.
Money May won by a majority decision, with the judges scoring the reunification match 114-114. 117-111 and 116-112 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXbQmGrTdUk). With his latest ring victory, Mayweather upped his record with a perfect 46-0.
However, it wasn't an easy victory for Mayweather who admitted after the fight that he couldn't see for two rounds because of the cut on his right eye courtesy of Maidana in round 4.
Mayweather admitted that Maidana was a tough opponent, saying, "Normally, I blow a guy out. He was a very good fighter."
However, Maidana believes he won the fight (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyKto7KCKYc) and said, quoted by The Telegraph, "I thought I won. Floyd didn't fight like a man like I expected him to do."
With the guaranteed purse of $32 million for Money May, the pound-for-pound king earned at least $888,888 per minute, but with pay-per-view revenues, Mayweather's wealth is expected to grow by at least another $50 million.
Maidana earned $1.5 million, his biggest purse so far.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports