Boxing News 2014: Grant Gloves for Mayweather, Everlast Gloves for Maidana; Money May & Justin Bieber Visit Spa on Eve of Fight
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 4, 2014 10:30 AM EST
Despite the objection of American boxer Floyd Mayweather, the Nevada State Athletic Commission approved the use by Argentinean boxer of a standard Everlast MX glove, ensuring the fight on Saturday night will push through.
Floyd Mayweather and Marcos Maidana during the official weigh-in, 2 May. Reuters
Money May's camp was still against the use by his opponent of the Everlast gloves and a proposed alternate Reyes glove. The camp threatened to cancel the fight if the commission upholds Maidana's gloves, but the commission stood its ground and had the last say.
Mayweather had originally opposed Maidana's custom-made glove by Everlast with horsehair filling, which Mayweather's camp complained for not having enough padding in the knuckle area, which led the Argentinean boxer to propose a standard Everlast MX glove to which Money May continued to oppose.
Mayweather, who is heavily favoured 11-1 to win and is assured of a $32 million purse, plus pay-per-view revenues, will wear Grant gloves which is good for boxers with a history of hand injuries.
Meanwhile, SB Nation reported that Mayweather and his BFF, Canadian pop star Justin Biever, visited a spa on the eve of the fight. The bad boy of the boxing ring had a pedicure, while the bad boy of the concert stage got a massage.
Mayweather posted their photo in the spa in his Instagram and Twitter accounts (https://twitter.com/search?q=mayweather%20justin%20bieber%20spa&src=typd).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand