Mayweather Jr. vs. Maidana Replay: Khan vs. Collazo, Broner vs. Molina–Fight Date and Time, Blow-by-Blow Analysis and Stats
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 4, 2014 10:16 AM EST
Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Marcos Maidana are just hours away from slugging it out inside the ring in Saturday's welterweight championship unification bout at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada.
WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. of the U.S. poses on the scale during an official weigh-in at the MGM Grand Garden Arenain Las Vegas, Nevada, May 2, 2014. Mayweather faces WBA welterweight champion Marcos Maidana of Argentina in a WBC/WBA unification fight at the arena on May 3.
In an attempt to preserve perfection, Mayweather makes his return in the welterweight division with the goal of unifying the WBC and WBA crowns in the main bout of Showtime Pay-per-View 'the Moment' at 12 p.m (Sydney Time).
Mayweather, who also holds the WBC light middleweight championship after beating Saul Canelo Alvarez last September, heads into the ring with lots of questions about Maidana's punching power and how the approved red Everlast gloves will be a factor in the match.
The pound-for-pound king threatened to cancel the fight because of the controversy surrounding the gloves to be used by the Argentine in the match. Leonard Ellerbe, who served as Mayweather's chief adviser, claimed the glove's padding is not proportionately distributed, and that could pose a risk to the health of Mayweather.
However, with $32 million along PPV earnings at stake in the bout, it is very much unlikely for Mayweather to withdraw from this clash. Maidana will pocket a career-high $1.5 million in the bout, but he nevertheless has a chance of making a statement against the man universally recognized as the best in the sport.
"Everybody thinks he's just going to be a pushover, but I don't think so," the 37-year old Mayweather said in Wednesday's press conference via the National.
"That's why I'm training hard and I'm pushing myself to the limit every day," Mayweather said. "If he brings his best, maybe he will be the first guy that actually makes me dig in my bag of tricks and pull out my 'A' game.
"Hopefully, he will make me bring out my 'A' game, because my whole career all I had to use was a 'D' and 'C' game to beat every guy,"
Coming off the biggest win of his career after dominating pound-for-pound star Adrien Broner in their slugfest last December, Maidana promised to give Mayweather a hell of fight as he looks for the kill from the opening bell.
"I know people think I'm going to lose, but I come to win and I'm not afraid of anybody or anything," Maidana said. "I have the support of the Latino people and I'm coming to win."
In the undercard, two-time jr. welterweight champion Amir Khan (28-3, 19 KO) will take on knockout artist in Luis Collazo (35-5, 18 KO) in their 12-round match, with the winner likely facing Mayweather in September.
Another interesting bout is the clash between three-time division world champion Adrien Broner (27-1, 22 KO) and Carlos Molina (17-1-1, 7 KO) in a 10-round jr. welterweight showdown.
TV Schedule and Results
Mayweather vs. Maidana 'The Moment" PPV clash will be available on Showtime Boxing. ESPN Boxing's Dan Rafael will provide blow-by-blow analysis of the fight on his Twitter account while fight stats will be available on CompuBox.
(Credit: YouTube/Floyd Mayweather vs Marcos Maidana)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports