Mayweather Jr. vs. Maidana Replay: Khan vs. Collazo, Broner vs. Molina–Fight Date and Time, Blow-by-Blow Analysis and Stats
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 4, 2014 10:16 AM EST
Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Marcos Maidana are just hours away from slugging it out inside the ring in Saturday's welterweight championship unification bout at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada.
WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. of the U.S. poses on the scale during an official weigh-in at the MGM Grand Garden Arenain Las Vegas, Nevada, May 2, 2014. Mayweather faces WBA welterweight champion Marcos Maidana of Argentina in a WBC/WBA unification fight at the arena on May 3.
In an attempt to preserve perfection, Mayweather makes his return in the welterweight division with the goal of unifying the WBC and WBA crowns in the main bout of Showtime Pay-per-View 'the Moment' at 12 p.m (Sydney Time).
Mayweather, who also holds the WBC light middleweight championship after beating Saul Canelo Alvarez last September, heads into the ring with lots of questions about Maidana's punching power and how the approved red Everlast gloves will be a factor in the match.
The pound-for-pound king threatened to cancel the fight because of the controversy surrounding the gloves to be used by the Argentine in the match. Leonard Ellerbe, who served as Mayweather's chief adviser, claimed the glove's padding is not proportionately distributed, and that could pose a risk to the health of Mayweather.
However, with $32 million along PPV earnings at stake in the bout, it is very much unlikely for Mayweather to withdraw from this clash. Maidana will pocket a career-high $1.5 million in the bout, but he nevertheless has a chance of making a statement against the man universally recognized as the best in the sport.
"Everybody thinks he's just going to be a pushover, but I don't think so," the 37-year old Mayweather said in Wednesday's press conference via the National.
"That's why I'm training hard and I'm pushing myself to the limit every day," Mayweather said. "If he brings his best, maybe he will be the first guy that actually makes me dig in my bag of tricks and pull out my 'A' game.
"Hopefully, he will make me bring out my 'A' game, because my whole career all I had to use was a 'D' and 'C' game to beat every guy,"
Coming off the biggest win of his career after dominating pound-for-pound star Adrien Broner in their slugfest last December, Maidana promised to give Mayweather a hell of fight as he looks for the kill from the opening bell.
"I know people think I'm going to lose, but I come to win and I'm not afraid of anybody or anything," Maidana said. "I have the support of the Latino people and I'm coming to win."
In the undercard, two-time jr. welterweight champion Amir Khan (28-3, 19 KO) will take on knockout artist in Luis Collazo (35-5, 18 KO) in their 12-round match, with the winner likely facing Mayweather in September.
Another interesting bout is the clash between three-time division world champion Adrien Broner (27-1, 22 KO) and Carlos Molina (17-1-1, 7 KO) in a 10-round jr. welterweight showdown.
TV Schedule and Results
Mayweather vs. Maidana 'The Moment" PPV clash will be available on Showtime Boxing. ESPN Boxing's Dan Rafael will provide blow-by-blow analysis of the fight on his Twitter account while fight stats will be available on CompuBox.
(Credit: YouTube/Floyd Mayweather vs Marcos Maidana)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown