Missing MH370: China to Continue Underwater Search in Southern Indian Ocean
By Johnlee Varghese | May 3, 2014 11:15 PM EST
Even as hope for finding the missing Malaysian airline seems fading, China has announced that it will continue the search and has sent another team for underwater search in the Southern Indian Ocean to look for the aircraft that seems to have vanished into thin air along with 227 passengers and 12 crew members on-board on 8 March.
Malaysian authorities have finally confirmed that the missing Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 has been 'lost' and all 239 passengers and crew members onboard are 'assumed dead'.
A local Chinese newspaper reported that China has dispatched a Navy vessel 872 to southern Indian Ocean.
"Navy vessel 872 with strong underground searching capacities has left for the southern Indian Ocean and is expected to arrive on 10 May," said Wang Zhenliang, deputy head of the center, reported Xinhua on Friday.
The flight MH370 had departed from Kuala Lumpur International Airport on 8 March 2014 at 00:41 local time (16:41 UTC, 7 March) and was scheduled to land at Beijing Capital International Airport at 06:30 local time (22:30 UTC, 7 March).
But since then, it had no contact with the traffic control and has now been concluded that the aircraft has crashed near the southern Indian ocean.
Of the 227 passenger on-board the Malaysian airline, 152 were Chinese citizens. Till now, China has sent a total of 18 naval vessels, 13 planes and used 21 satellites for the search operation to locate the missing aircraft.
Earlier on Thursday, the relatives of the missing passengers were told by the Malaysian airline staff that its assistance centers will be closed down and advised the relatives to go home, who have been staying at hotels in Malaysia waiting for any news on the missing passengers, since March.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Video: Man's Privates Gets Exposed For the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge
- James Foley's Family and Boss Reject Syrian Claim of Foley Killed A Year Ago
- Perth Train Racist Attack Caught on Camera [VIDEO]
- British Cleric Accused of Urging James Foley Executioner; Predicted ISIS Will Fight in the West
- Fate of MH370, MH17 Trigger Mass Resignation of Crew in Malaysia Airlines
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza
- US, Syria to Work Together to Vaporise ISIS
- European Central Bank Advises Action to Boost Demand and Employment In EU