Missing MH370: China to Continue Underwater Search in Southern Indian Ocean
By Johnlee Varghese | May 3, 2014 11:15 PM EST
Even as hope for finding the missing Malaysian airline seems fading, China has announced that it will continue the search and has sent another team for underwater search in the Southern Indian Ocean to look for the aircraft that seems to have vanished into thin air along with 227 passengers and 12 crew members on-board on 8 March.
Malaysian authorities have finally confirmed that the missing Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 has been 'lost' and all 239 passengers and crew members onboard are 'assumed dead'.
A local Chinese newspaper reported that China has dispatched a Navy vessel 872 to southern Indian Ocean.
"Navy vessel 872 with strong underground searching capacities has left for the southern Indian Ocean and is expected to arrive on 10 May," said Wang Zhenliang, deputy head of the center, reported Xinhua on Friday.
The flight MH370 had departed from Kuala Lumpur International Airport on 8 March 2014 at 00:41 local time (16:41 UTC, 7 March) and was scheduled to land at Beijing Capital International Airport at 06:30 local time (22:30 UTC, 7 March).
But since then, it had no contact with the traffic control and has now been concluded that the aircraft has crashed near the southern Indian ocean.
Of the 227 passenger on-board the Malaysian airline, 152 were Chinese citizens. Till now, China has sent a total of 18 naval vessels, 13 planes and used 21 satellites for the search operation to locate the missing aircraft.
Earlier on Thursday, the relatives of the missing passengers were told by the Malaysian airline staff that its assistance centers will be closed down and advised the relatives to go home, who have been staying at hotels in Malaysia waiting for any news on the missing passengers, since March.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery