Missing MH370: China to Continue Underwater Search in Southern Indian Ocean
By Johnlee Varghese | May 3, 2014 11:15 PM EST
Even as hope for finding the missing Malaysian airline seems fading, China has announced that it will continue the search and has sent another team for underwater search in the Southern Indian Ocean to look for the aircraft that seems to have vanished into thin air along with 227 passengers and 12 crew members on-board on 8 March.
Malaysian authorities have finally confirmed that the missing Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 has been 'lost' and all 239 passengers and crew members onboard are 'assumed dead'.
A local Chinese newspaper reported that China has dispatched a Navy vessel 872 to southern Indian Ocean.
"Navy vessel 872 with strong underground searching capacities has left for the southern Indian Ocean and is expected to arrive on 10 May," said Wang Zhenliang, deputy head of the center, reported Xinhua on Friday.
The flight MH370 had departed from Kuala Lumpur International Airport on 8 March 2014 at 00:41 local time (16:41 UTC, 7 March) and was scheduled to land at Beijing Capital International Airport at 06:30 local time (22:30 UTC, 7 March).
But since then, it had no contact with the traffic control and has now been concluded that the aircraft has crashed near the southern Indian ocean.
Of the 227 passenger on-board the Malaysian airline, 152 were Chinese citizens. Till now, China has sent a total of 18 naval vessels, 13 planes and used 21 satellites for the search operation to locate the missing aircraft.
Earlier on Thursday, the relatives of the missing passengers were told by the Malaysian airline staff that its assistance centers will be closed down and advised the relatives to go home, who have been staying at hotels in Malaysia waiting for any news on the missing passengers, since March.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Release Video Of Officers Shooting 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Viral Video Celebrity Impressions: Comedian Lauren O'Brien Impersonates Famous Female Celebrities While Stuck In Traffic [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft