Missing MH370: China to Continue Underwater Search in Southern Indian Ocean
By Johnlee Varghese | May 3, 2014 11:15 PM EST
Even as hope for finding the missing Malaysian airline seems fading, China has announced that it will continue the search and has sent another team for underwater search in the Southern Indian Ocean to look for the aircraft that seems to have vanished into thin air along with 227 passengers and 12 crew members on-board on 8 March.
Malaysian authorities have finally confirmed that the missing Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 has been 'lost' and all 239 passengers and crew members onboard are 'assumed dead'.
A local Chinese newspaper reported that China has dispatched a Navy vessel 872 to southern Indian Ocean.
"Navy vessel 872 with strong underground searching capacities has left for the southern Indian Ocean and is expected to arrive on 10 May," said Wang Zhenliang, deputy head of the center, reported Xinhua on Friday.
The flight MH370 had departed from Kuala Lumpur International Airport on 8 March 2014 at 00:41 local time (16:41 UTC, 7 March) and was scheduled to land at Beijing Capital International Airport at 06:30 local time (22:30 UTC, 7 March).
But since then, it had no contact with the traffic control and has now been concluded that the aircraft has crashed near the southern Indian ocean.
Of the 227 passenger on-board the Malaysian airline, 152 were Chinese citizens. Till now, China has sent a total of 18 naval vessels, 13 planes and used 21 satellites for the search operation to locate the missing aircraft.
Earlier on Thursday, the relatives of the missing passengers were told by the Malaysian airline staff that its assistance centers will be closed down and advised the relatives to go home, who have been staying at hotels in Malaysia waiting for any news on the missing passengers, since March.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- Australian Wanted Man Threatens Terror in Australia, Demands Release of Muslim Prisoners
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools