Boxing News 2014: Floyd Mayweather to Wear Power Ranger-Type of Attire for Saturday Bout, But Fight in Danger of Cancellation Due to Maidana’s Gloves
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 3, 2014 8:42 PM EST
The world is waiting for the much anticipated match between unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr and Argentinean pugilist Marcos Maidana.
Everything is ready with the two opponents having weighed in and Money May even sharing via Twitter his Power Ranger-type of attire (https://twitter.com/FloydMayweather/status/462473233808101376/photo/1), but latest report said that Mayweather's camp is threatening not to push through with the bout because of Maidana's custom-made gloves.
Mayweather's boxing attire, which features a black shorts with red, white and green parts on the side, comes with a vest that is white on the front and red on the back and a black and red hoodie.
The Twitter photo generated a lot of comments and was favourited 1,687 times and retweeted 1,917 times, so far.
Commenting on the attire, Juice tweeted, "Look like some power ranger mighty morphin sh*t," while Christian Cain commented, "This Ni**a Think He Ezio From Assassin's Creed."
Jill : D Capricorn found the attire "Kewel" and asked "Who created it hun?"
Marc Johnson told Money May, "your gonna look like Zelda! U got sword? At least youll have @justinbieber with you he looks like an elf."
But the bigger talk of boxing world is Maidana's custom-made glove by Everlast with horsehair filling, which Mayweather's camp complained for not having enough padding in the knuckle area.
During their weigh-in, the two boxers could not agree on Maidana's blue gloves which Nevada Athletic Commission Chairman Francisco Aguilar had rejected but he allowed a stock red pair of Everlast MX gloves which Mayweather objected to because of the padding distribution, prompting Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe to threaten to call off the match, but Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer said the fight will go on.
Everlast gloves have either foam or horsehair padding, although there is a third type which combines the two filling.
Schaefer said, quoted by USA Today, "When you have gloves, to make them eight ounces is easy, the question is where's the weight distributed. You can have gloves with eight ounces, and two ounces (in the front) and six ounces (in the back)."
He added that glove controversies are common, prompting USA Today to call the furor caused by Maidana's glove as Glovegate.
Boxing experts also doubt if Mayweather will indeed pull out because at stake if a guaranteed $32 million purse, plus pay-per-view revenues.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People