Boxing News 2014: Floyd Mayweather to Wear Power Ranger-Type of Attire for Saturday Bout, But Fight in Danger of Cancellation Due to Maidana’s Gloves
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 3, 2014 8:42 PM EST
The world is waiting for the much anticipated match between unbeaten American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr and Argentinean pugilist Marcos Maidana.
Everything is ready with the two opponents having weighed in and Money May even sharing via Twitter his Power Ranger-type of attire (https://twitter.com/FloydMayweather/status/462473233808101376/photo/1), but latest report said that Mayweather's camp is threatening not to push through with the bout because of Maidana's custom-made gloves.
Mayweather's boxing attire, which features a black shorts with red, white and green parts on the side, comes with a vest that is white on the front and red on the back and a black and red hoodie.
The Twitter photo generated a lot of comments and was favourited 1,687 times and retweeted 1,917 times, so far.
Commenting on the attire, Juice tweeted, "Look like some power ranger mighty morphin sh*t," while Christian Cain commented, "This Ni**a Think He Ezio From Assassin's Creed."
Jill : D Capricorn found the attire "Kewel" and asked "Who created it hun?"
Marc Johnson told Money May, "your gonna look like Zelda! U got sword? At least youll have @justinbieber with you he looks like an elf."
But the bigger talk of boxing world is Maidana's custom-made glove by Everlast with horsehair filling, which Mayweather's camp complained for not having enough padding in the knuckle area.
During their weigh-in, the two boxers could not agree on Maidana's blue gloves which Nevada Athletic Commission Chairman Francisco Aguilar had rejected but he allowed a stock red pair of Everlast MX gloves which Mayweather objected to because of the padding distribution, prompting Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe to threaten to call off the match, but Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer said the fight will go on.
Everlast gloves have either foam or horsehair padding, although there is a third type which combines the two filling.
Schaefer said, quoted by USA Today, "When you have gloves, to make them eight ounces is easy, the question is where's the weight distributed. You can have gloves with eight ounces, and two ounces (in the front) and six ounces (in the back)."
He added that glove controversies are common, prompting USA Today to call the furor caused by Maidana's glove as Glovegate.
Boxing experts also doubt if Mayweather will indeed pull out because at stake if a guaranteed $32 million purse, plus pay-per-view revenues.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon