UFO Sightings: Curiosity Rover Spots Cigar-like Object on Martian Sky
By Johnlee Varghese | May 3, 2014 7:03 PM EST
Curiosity, the car-sized robotic rover exploring Gale Crater on Mars as a part of NASA's Mars Science Laboratory mission, which was on its way to Mount Sharp came across an interesting anomaly, giving rise to speculations of a UFO sighting. But what is more interesting is the fact that the anomaly or the flying object was visible for almost ten minutes, before it disappeared.
The flying object in the pictures looks like a straight long cigar. The incident as per the NASA archives was recorded on 14 April and the time of sighting has been listed as 4:48:22 until 04:56:09 UTC. Scott Waring of UFO Sightings Daily noticed the pictures in the archives dispatched by Curiosity Rover.
"The object was in the sky in front of the rover for 10 minutes! Also notice that most the stars do not move, but do lighten and dim during this time. The shape of the UFO is just as we see it, long cigar shaped. At first a person will assume the exposure (shutter) was open allowing the photo to record for a few seconds, but no. The shutter speed is normal. This object was moving slow, which is proven by the time stamps on the photos on the NASA site. Ten minutes in plain view," noted Waring in an online video.
"Then again, could this be a moon or micro moon orbiting Mars? Yes, it would be possible; however a moon of this shape would have a high probability of flipping end over end. This object has slow, balanced movement like a ship in water. I am very interested in how NASA will explain this one," he added. Scotting Waring has even written to NASA to explain this anomaly, but is yet to get a reply.
Earlier in April, speculations were rife after photographs from Curiosity showed a bright, shining light on Mars, seen at a distance. It was believed that the light emanating from the planet surface was from an artificial source, which implied that there could be an intelligent life existent in Mars.
UFO Sighting Timeline
- 1st photo: 04:48:22 UFO firsts appears, and is heading down.
- 2nd photo: 04:50:18
- 3rd photo: 04:52:15
- 4th photo: 04:54:12
- 5th photo: 04:56:09
- 6th photo: 04:58:06 Object is gone.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde Attends Father’s Funeral Without Handcuffs, Brother Thanks TPB Founder’s Supporters on Facebook
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- Tigerair Australia, AFP Evicts Male Passenger For Terrorism-Themed Drawings Amid High Terror Alert
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?