UFO Sightings: Curiosity Rover Spots Cigar-like Object on Martian Sky
By Johnlee Varghese | May 3, 2014 7:03 PM EST
Curiosity, the car-sized robotic rover exploring Gale Crater on Mars as a part of NASA's Mars Science Laboratory mission, which was on its way to Mount Sharp came across an interesting anomaly, giving rise to speculations of a UFO sighting. But what is more interesting is the fact that the anomaly or the flying object was visible for almost ten minutes, before it disappeared.
The flying object in the pictures looks like a straight long cigar. The incident as per the NASA archives was recorded on 14 April and the time of sighting has been listed as 4:48:22 until 04:56:09 UTC. Scott Waring of UFO Sightings Daily noticed the pictures in the archives dispatched by Curiosity Rover.
"The object was in the sky in front of the rover for 10 minutes! Also notice that most the stars do not move, but do lighten and dim during this time. The shape of the UFO is just as we see it, long cigar shaped. At first a person will assume the exposure (shutter) was open allowing the photo to record for a few seconds, but no. The shutter speed is normal. This object was moving slow, which is proven by the time stamps on the photos on the NASA site. Ten minutes in plain view," noted Waring in an online video.
"Then again, could this be a moon or micro moon orbiting Mars? Yes, it would be possible; however a moon of this shape would have a high probability of flipping end over end. This object has slow, balanced movement like a ship in water. I am very interested in how NASA will explain this one," he added. Scotting Waring has even written to NASA to explain this anomaly, but is yet to get a reply.
Earlier in April, speculations were rife after photographs from Curiosity showed a bright, shining light on Mars, seen at a distance. It was believed that the light emanating from the planet surface was from an artificial source, which implied that there could be an intelligent life existent in Mars.
UFO Sighting Timeline
- 1st photo: 04:48:22 UFO firsts appears, and is heading down.
- 2nd photo: 04:50:18
- 3rd photo: 04:52:15
- 4th photo: 04:54:12
- 5th photo: 04:56:09
- 6th photo: 04:58:06 Object is gone.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Pacific Islands Forum Delegates Appeal for Changes to Climate Policies, Better Marine Life Protection
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools