Assam Violence: 9 More Bodies Recovered Including 4 of Children; Toll Climbs to 32
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | May 3, 2014 6:30 PM EST
Nine more bodies have been found at Baksa district of Assam on Saturday, taking the death toll to 32 in the violence stirred by NDFB-Songbijit militants in the Bodoland Territorial Administrative Districts in Assam.
Assam Violence -- Nine more bodies recovered including four of children, death toll climbs to 32 (Photo: Reuters)
The bodies of the victims, including four children and two women, were recovered from Khagrabari village, the Times of India reports.
Bodies of two children found were identified as Ilina Khatun and Ariful Islam. Three children (between 7 and 10 years) who were hiding in a forest on the banks of river Beki were also rescued, sources have said.
The police have arrested 12 people in Baksa and another 8 have been taken in for questioning in Kokrajahar, according to DNA.
After the death toll in the targeted killings by suspected Dodo militants has risen to 32, a curfew has been clamped in Assam's Baksa and Kokrajhar districts.
Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi has called for an emergency meeting over the violence.
The army has carried out flag marches, and shoot-on-sight orders have been issued in both the districts.
Late on Friday evening, 12 bodies were found in the villages of Narayanguri and Khagrabari near Manas National park in Baksa. A group of militants reportedly belonging to the outlawed National Democratic Front of Bodoland, stormed the Naraynguri area, and fired indiscriminately, killing at least nine people on the spot, various news sources have said.
Among those who died on Friday, seven were women and two men.. The rebels also set around 50 hours on fire as the villagers from the district fled to nearby villages to be safe. Most of the people living in these areas are non-Bodo people.
In 2012, ethnic riots between tribal Bodos and Bengali-speaking Muslims in BTAD had claimed over 100 lives.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales