Assam Violence: 9 More Bodies Recovered Including 4 of Children; Toll Climbs to 32
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | May 3, 2014 6:30 PM EST
Nine more bodies have been found at Baksa district of Assam on Saturday, taking the death toll to 32 in the violence stirred by NDFB-Songbijit militants in the Bodoland Territorial Administrative Districts in Assam.
Assam Violence -- Nine more bodies recovered including four of children, death toll climbs to 32 (Photo: Reuters)
The bodies of the victims, including four children and two women, were recovered from Khagrabari village, the Times of India reports.
Bodies of two children found were identified as Ilina Khatun and Ariful Islam. Three children (between 7 and 10 years) who were hiding in a forest on the banks of river Beki were also rescued, sources have said.
The police have arrested 12 people in Baksa and another 8 have been taken in for questioning in Kokrajahar, according to DNA.
After the death toll in the targeted killings by suspected Dodo militants has risen to 32, a curfew has been clamped in Assam's Baksa and Kokrajhar districts.
Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi has called for an emergency meeting over the violence.
The army has carried out flag marches, and shoot-on-sight orders have been issued in both the districts.
Late on Friday evening, 12 bodies were found in the villages of Narayanguri and Khagrabari near Manas National park in Baksa. A group of militants reportedly belonging to the outlawed National Democratic Front of Bodoland, stormed the Naraynguri area, and fired indiscriminately, killing at least nine people on the spot, various news sources have said.
Among those who died on Friday, seven were women and two men.. The rebels also set around 50 hours on fire as the villagers from the district fled to nearby villages to be safe. Most of the people living in these areas are non-Bodo people.
In 2012, ethnic riots between tribal Bodos and Bengali-speaking Muslims in BTAD had claimed over 100 lives.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6