Is Australian PM Tony Abbott Rejecting Indonesia’s Olive Branch by Postponing Trip to Bali?
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 3, 2014 3:52 PM EST
Political observers are asking if Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott's decision to postpone his trip to Bali next week is an indication that he is rejecting the olive branch offered by Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono?
File photo of Australia's PM Abbott being welcomed by Indonesia's President Yudhoyono as he arrives for the ABAC Dialogue with Leaders at the APEC Summit in Nusa Dua. November 24, 2013.
He was invited to the Open Government Partnership Conference which would include a Tuesday meeting with Mr Yudhoyono. It would be the first time that the two national leaders would have met after the spying scandal that broke out the past few months in which Australian spy agencies were caught wiretapping the mobile phones of the Indonesian president, his wife and some cabinet members.
Canberra said that Mr Abbott postponed the trip to Indonesia because the federal government is in the final stages of budget preparation and had to deal with the Commission on Audit report released on Thursday.
A spokeswoman for Mr Abbott, said, quoted by The Sydney Morning Herald, "he Prime Minister is grateful for the invitation. Unfortunately the Prime Minister is unable to attend at this time and he hopes to visit Indonesia to meet with the President at a mutually convenient time."
Australian newspapers, however, link the decision to the interception of the first asylum seeker boat spotted between Ashmore Reef and Java which was intercepted by the Customs bureau of Australia on Friday. The boat's passengers include 11 women and 13 children.
A spokeswoman for the Indonesian president said Mr Yudhoyono was not offended by Mr Abbott's decision and added it would not affect the ongoing negotiation to craft a code of conduct in the light of the spying scandal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan