NBA Rumors: Magic Johnson Confesses He Never Had HIV or AIDS is Hoax
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 3, 2014 5:37 AM EST
Los Angeles Lakers basketball legend Magic Johnson hasn't been spared by controversy as of late, and this time it involves the rumors about his alleged confession that he has never been infected by HIV-AIDS.
Johnson is buying the Los Angeles Dodgers from owner Frank McCourt for a record $2 billion, yet another chapter in the life of a perennial comeback kid and a sign that the Dodgers are in good hands. Take a look back at Johnson's tumultuous but ultimately legendary career in our timeline of the American icon here, and see how his struggles in the past could help the L.A. Dodgers in the future.
Roughly 23 years ago, Johnson shocked the entire sporting world after he announced that he was diagnosed with HIV. He was at the peak of his basketball career at 32-years old, but all of his aspirations seemed to have turned into ashes after learning he was infected by the incurable disease.
However, there are several reports circulating that Magic never got HIV in the first place. The basketball Hall of Fame reportedly claimed that he just wanted to be a role model for people with HIV to stay optimistic in life despite having the disease.
"I just wanted people with HIV to think more positive about having a virus that could possibly kill them, their future children and anybody they ever had sex with" Johnson said in a radio interview while promoting a new Obamacare Campaign #GetCovered via the Blade Brown Show.
The report also had Johnson dismissing the rumors that he has the cure for HIV, as he believed the only prevention for the disease is to use condoms during sexual intercourse.
"No I don't have a cure, but did I ever really look sick? Of course not!" said Magic about the long time rumor that he had a cure for the HIV virus. "The only cure for HIV is a condom, or abstinence and let's be honest these young folks are gonna do what they want to do."
Well folks, Magic Johnson still has HIV. And yes, all of the reports circulating about the former Lakers star having the cure and lying about the status of his health are all shams.
Still, the fight goes on for the 54-year old Johnson, has been able to prevent it from becoming a full-blown AIDS by taking a regimen of three or four antiretroviral drugs, which is collectively called in medical term as HAART (highly active antiretroviral therapy).
"There is nothing unique about Magic," Spencer Lieb, senior epidemiologist and HIV/AIDS research coordinator for the Florida Consortium for HIV/AIDS Research told Live Science. "There are still people alive and kicking and doing very well 20 and 30 years after infection."
Johnson, who is currently an analyst for ESPN, businessman and philanthropist, has managed to keep his life longer than expected by taking it the right away and observing a healthy life style.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Rafael Nadal Will Miss 2014 US Open; Roger Federer Looking to Pounce on Rival
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- Cleveland Cavaliers Confident Ray Allen Will Join LeBron James
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region