IPL 2014 Results: CSK Begin India Leg with Thumping Victory over KKR
By Deepak Vikraman | May 3, 2014 5:07 AM EST
Back in India for the first time in IPL 2014, the Chennai Super Kings only looked more formidable as the former champs cruised to the most comfortable of wins in MS Dhoni's own backyard against the Kolkata Knight Riders on Friday night.
The sell-out Ranchi crowd were made to wait for an hour and a half due to rain, but once the 17-over a game got rolling there was no stopping the Dhoni-led CSK juggernaut.
Choosing to bat first, CSK, with Brendon McCullum coming back to haunt his own side, romped to 148 for three in their 17 overs, with KKR, in their chase, or rather car crash, slumping to 114 for nine to hand the Super Kings a massive 34-run victory, their fifth straight in IPL 7.
Gautam Gambhir, after a decent innings in his last match, fell back to his disappointing groove, unable to give KKR that much-needed big start along with Robin Uthappa, who opened the innings for the first time IPL 2014.
Gambhir ran himself out, going for a single that was never there, putting the onus on Uthappa and Jacques Kallis to set that solid base for the chase.
The two got KKR's hopes up in the over after Gambhir's dismissal, the fourth, with the two batsmen taking Mohit Sharma for 15 runs in his first over. But that was as good as it got for the Knight Riders, with the capitulation beginning in the fifth over - Kallis (4, 6b, 1x4) picking out Mithun Manhas perfectly at deep square leg off Ashwin.
If losing Kallis was a blow, it only got worse as Manish Pandey and Shakib Al Hasan fell in successive deliveries, as Ravindra Jadeja (4-0-12-4) brought his golden arm into play. Pandey first looped a catch to McCullum in the covers, before Shakib threw his wicket away, going for a big shot first ball and finding Mohit at deep midwicket.
With the required rate over ten at that point, it was a slaloming crash for KKR, despite Uthappa (47, 38b, 5x4, 1x6) and Yusuf Pathan's (41, 29b, 1x4, 4x6) - yes no typo there - best efforts.
Earlier, CSK got off to a solid enough start, with Brendon McCullum, against his former side, yet again coming to the fore.
It was wonderful batting from CSK with the batsmen finding the boundary at will without really taking any risks. McCullum took the bowlers to the cleaners with his pull shots, Raina with his astute finding of the gaps and Dwayne Smith, for a brief while, through his belligerent straight hitting.
Smith (16, 11b, 2x4, 1x6) could not get his gears clicking into overdrive for another match, with the West Indian, after a couple of typically Smith big shots, falling to Shakib, a couple of deliveries after he was a little lucky to stay at the crease, surviving a stumping because the ball was called dead as Shakib's towel fell down on delivery.
Raina gave good company to McCullum following Smith's dismissal, with the left-hander calmly keeping the rate buzzing as "Baz" at the other end kept finding the boundary every now and then.
The two put on 70 runs in just 8.1 overs to set the perfect platform for Dhoni and co. to go crazy in the final overs in this curtailed tie. Raina (31, 25b, 5x4, 1x6), after seeing CSK to a position of comfort, holed out to Shakib in the 11th over.
Dhoni did not, or could not, quite go six-crazy in the final overs, with McCullum (56, 40b, 5x4, 2x6) falling a little after reaching his half-century in the 15th over, with the CSK skipper and Ravindra Jadeja seeing their side through to 148, a total was enough and more against the struggling KKR side.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate