Arsenal FC Transfer News: Gunners Boss will Try to Hold On to Key Players
By Mark Wayne Eubank | May 2, 2014 11:33 PM EST
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger will do his best to hold on to his key players this summer following a disappointing term in the Premier League and the Champions League.
"We want the players to stay here because this club has big ambitions for the future." - Arsene Wenger
Bacary Sagna, whose contract is expiring in June, has yet to sign an extension, while skipper Thomas Vermaelen has been rumoured to be considering life elsewhere after seeing limited minutes this season.
Nevertheless, the Gunners mentor would want to keep his squad intact as he knows all too well that chemistry, aside from quality, could make significant difference.
"We want the players to stay here because this club has big ambitions for the future," said the French boss.
With only two more games left in the domestic league, the north Londoners, who are currently placed fourth, will only need a point to secure the final Champions League spot, but Wenger would want his squad to finish strong.
"One of the ingredients we've had this season was to respond when everyone was writing us off. We missed some vital games this season but we have been remarkably consistent," he added.
"Against the teams who did not fight for the Premier League title we've done our job."
"We had too many injuries in March and February and we always had to play the same players."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date