Arsenal FC Transfer News: Gunners Boss will Try to Hold On to Key Players
By Mark Wayne Eubank | May 2, 2014 11:33 PM EST
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger will do his best to hold on to his key players this summer following a disappointing term in the Premier League and the Champions League.
"We want the players to stay here because this club has big ambitions for the future." - Arsene Wenger
Bacary Sagna, whose contract is expiring in June, has yet to sign an extension, while skipper Thomas Vermaelen has been rumoured to be considering life elsewhere after seeing limited minutes this season.
Nevertheless, the Gunners mentor would want to keep his squad intact as he knows all too well that chemistry, aside from quality, could make significant difference.
"We want the players to stay here because this club has big ambitions for the future," said the French boss.
With only two more games left in the domestic league, the north Londoners, who are currently placed fourth, will only need a point to secure the final Champions League spot, but Wenger would want his squad to finish strong.
"One of the ingredients we've had this season was to respond when everyone was writing us off. We missed some vital games this season but we have been remarkably consistent," he added.
"Against the teams who did not fight for the Premier League title we've done our job."
"We had too many injuries in March and February and we always had to play the same players."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Rafael Nadal Crowned as Most Popular Personality in Spain
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales