Jeremy Lin News: JLin Ready To Be Rockets’ ‘Hero’ Against Blazers
By Lou Ramon Aguila | May 2, 2014 11:14 PM EST
Jeremy Lin delivered his best postseason performance of his career on Wednesday after dropping 21 points, 4 assists and 3 rebounds to help the Houston Rockets stave off elimination with a 108-98 win over the Portland Trail Blazers in Game 5 of their Western Conference playoff series.
James Harden and Jeremy Lin will look to lead the Houston Rockets past the Oklahoma City Thunder
Lin, who averaged just under nine points, four rebounds and four assists per game in the first four games of the series, came alive offensively as he shot 9-for-15 from the field and 2-for-5 from the three-point line in 31 minutes of action.
Head coach Kevin McHale also credited the Asian-American star for breaking down the Blazers' defensive pressure, as Lin's relentless penetration really opened the lane for his team in the match.
"He was able to break people down, made a couple floaters," McHale said at the post-game press conference. "When they're putting that much pressure on us, it's really hard to run an offense. You really have to break people down."
Lin Holds The Key To The Series
With his future with the Rockets uncertain, Lin has a chance to prove he's still part of the team's success despite struggling throughout the regular-season and early in the playoff series.
Lin's tendency to commit turnovers and questionable decisions late in the game made him the subject of criticism from several basketball pundits, who believed McHale should start benching the former Harvard hot-shot and instead give more playing time to rookie gunner Troy Daniels.
The Rockets point guard admitted that his huge miscue in Game 4 really bothered him a lot, that's why he tried to get some sort of redemption by playing more aggressive on Wednesday.
"I think Game 4 was definitely a rough one," Lin said in an interview with Oregon Live. "I didn't really sleep much that night. Just tried to come out and try to be as aggressive as I could be.
Lin's breakout game in Game 5 could be vital for the Rockets in their attempt to mount a comeback from a 1-3 hole.
Houston's starters Dwight Howards, James Harden and Chandler Parsons are all expected to do their job, but Lin must also come up with the same aggressive approach on the offensive end to give the Rockets an X-Factor in the series.
With all the struggles and the disappointment that happened this season, Lin has the opportunity to silence his detractors by keying what could be the Rockets' epic come-from-behind win over the bludgeoning Trail Blazers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]