‘Top Gear’ Presenter Jeremy Clarkson ‘Begs Forgiveness’ For Racism Row, Denies Using N-Word
By Anne Lu | May 2, 2014 10:06 PM EST
British journalist Jeremy Clarkson has been caught in a racism row after allegedly using an offensive word on camera. An unaired footage of the “Top Gear” host chanting a rhyme that sounded like “n*****” was posted by a tabloid, prompting him to deny the slur.
On Thursday, the UK paper The Mirror posted a 30-second video of the 54-year-old host while shooting for his BBC show. The footage, which was cut out during editing, sees Clarkson reciting a nursery rhyme while choosing between two cars.
“Eeny, meeny, miny, moe...” he started before mumbling, “Catch a [unintelligible word] by his toe.”
The word was a bit garbled in the video, which led The Mirror to believe that he actually said “n*****.”
However, the TV presenter denied using the racist word,
I did not use the n word. Never use it. The Mirror has gone way too far this time.
— Jeremy Clarkson (@JeremyClarkson) May 1, 2014
“I wish to God that my attempts to cover up that word were better than they were,” he told The Sun.
“I was simply mumbling – saying ‘ner ner’ or something similar, anything but the N-word. It was my mistake and I apologise for not covering it up. But if you look at the footage you can see what I’m trying to do.”
The tabloid is adamant that he uttered the offensive word, though, even hiring audio forensic experts to prove that he really said it.
He said that the episode, which aired in February, was actually shot two years ago.
“When I viewed this footage several weeks later, I realised that one of the mumbled versions, if you listen very carefully with the sound turned right up, it did appear I actually used the word I was trying to obscure,” he said in the video.
“I was mortified by this, horrified. It is a word I loathe. And I did everything in my power to make sure that that version did not appear in the program that was transmitted.”
He then read the note that he sent the production team, which read, “I didn’t use the n-word here but I’ve just listened through my headphones and it sounded like I did. Is there another take that we could use?”
An apologetic Clarkson told the viewers, “Please be assured that I did everything in my power to not use that word. And as I’m sitting here begging for your forgiveness for the fact that obviously my efforts weren’t quite good enough.”
His co-hosts, James May and Richard Hammond, quickly turned to Twitter to defend him.
Jeremy Clarkson is not a racist. He is a monumental bellend and many other things, but not a racist. I wouldn't work with one. #ThatIsAll — James May (@MrJamesMay) May 1, 2014
I 2nd May's comment re Clarkson. I can list a million things wrong with him, but he is absolutely not racist. An idiot, yes.
— Richard Hammond (@RichardHammond) May 1, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’