‘Top Gear’ Presenter Jeremy Clarkson ‘Begs Forgiveness’ For Racism Row, Denies Using N-Word
By Anne Lu | May 2, 2014 10:06 PM EST
British journalist Jeremy Clarkson has been caught in a racism row after allegedly using an offensive word on camera. An unaired footage of the “Top Gear” host chanting a rhyme that sounded like “n*****” was posted by a tabloid, prompting him to deny the slur.
On Thursday, the UK paper The Mirror posted a 30-second video of the 54-year-old host while shooting for his BBC show. The footage, which was cut out during editing, sees Clarkson reciting a nursery rhyme while choosing between two cars.
“Eeny, meeny, miny, moe...” he started before mumbling, “Catch a [unintelligible word] by his toe.”
The word was a bit garbled in the video, which led The Mirror to believe that he actually said “n*****.”
However, the TV presenter denied using the racist word,
I did not use the n word. Never use it. The Mirror has gone way too far this time.
— Jeremy Clarkson (@JeremyClarkson) May 1, 2014
“I wish to God that my attempts to cover up that word were better than they were,” he told The Sun.
“I was simply mumbling – saying ‘ner ner’ or something similar, anything but the N-word. It was my mistake and I apologise for not covering it up. But if you look at the footage you can see what I’m trying to do.”
The tabloid is adamant that he uttered the offensive word, though, even hiring audio forensic experts to prove that he really said it.
He said that the episode, which aired in February, was actually shot two years ago.
“When I viewed this footage several weeks later, I realised that one of the mumbled versions, if you listen very carefully with the sound turned right up, it did appear I actually used the word I was trying to obscure,” he said in the video.
“I was mortified by this, horrified. It is a word I loathe. And I did everything in my power to make sure that that version did not appear in the program that was transmitted.”
He then read the note that he sent the production team, which read, “I didn’t use the n-word here but I’ve just listened through my headphones and it sounded like I did. Is there another take that we could use?”
An apologetic Clarkson told the viewers, “Please be assured that I did everything in my power to not use that word. And as I’m sitting here begging for your forgiveness for the fact that obviously my efforts weren’t quite good enough.”
His co-hosts, James May and Richard Hammond, quickly turned to Twitter to defend him.
Jeremy Clarkson is not a racist. He is a monumental bellend and many other things, but not a racist. I wouldn't work with one. #ThatIsAll — James May (@MrJamesMay) May 1, 2014
I 2nd May's comment re Clarkson. I can list a million things wrong with him, but he is absolutely not racist. An idiot, yes.
— Richard Hammond (@RichardHammond) May 1, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone