Injection Pumped in Groin? Botched Oklahoma Execution of Clayton Lockett Turns Embarrassing
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | May 2, 2014 9:11 PM EST
During a botched execution of inmate Clayton Lockett in Oklahoma, a mystery lethal drug cocktail was injected from veins in his groin after a phlebotomist was unable to find suitable entry in his extremities or neck.
Botched Execution Leads to Oklahoma Inmate Clyton Lockett’s Vein ‘Explosion’ and a Massive Heart-Attack. (Photo: Reuters)
They took 51 minutes to find a suitable vein and did not realize the one they ultimately found in his groin had collapsed, various sources have reported.
Clayton Lockett succumbed to a complication that ensued as a result of the lethal injection and died of a massive heart attack 10 minutes later, as he writhed and mumbled.
A timeline into the inmate's execution process released by the state's Corrections Department on Thursday also revealed that the convicted murderer and rapist had a self-inflicted wound on his arm and that he had refused to eat or see his attorney during the final hours leading up to the execution, NewsOk reported.
Before the execution on Tuesday, Lockett was also shocked with a taser after refusing to undergo an x-ray that is given to all convicted prisoners.
After the injection was pumped into the inmate's groin, his lower body was covered with a sheet, according to prisons director Robert Patton's letter to Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin, which included a detailed timeline.
Soon after the legal injection; Lockett began writhing, clenching his teeth and straining to lift his head at a time he was supposed to be unconscious. This effect is thought to have been caused by the first of three drugs in the state's new lethal injection combination administered to the inmate.
Lockett died of an apparent heart attack 10 minutes later, authorities said.
The murderer's family has spoken out saying Lockett deserved to pay for his crimes, but no to suffer.
"I'm not seeking financial gain from this," Lockett's stepmother told NBC. "My main thing is I want the process changed...I want them to admit they did wrong and after that, let's change this...If we are going to put people to death, let's do it the right way."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS