Injection Pumped in Groin? Botched Oklahoma Execution of Clayton Lockett Turns Embarrassing
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | May 2, 2014 9:11 PM EST
During a botched execution of inmate Clayton Lockett in Oklahoma, a mystery lethal drug cocktail was injected from veins in his groin after a phlebotomist was unable to find suitable entry in his extremities or neck.
Botched Execution Leads to Oklahoma Inmate Clyton Lockett’s Vein ‘Explosion’ and a Massive Heart-Attack. (Photo: Reuters)
They took 51 minutes to find a suitable vein and did not realize the one they ultimately found in his groin had collapsed, various sources have reported.
Clayton Lockett succumbed to a complication that ensued as a result of the lethal injection and died of a massive heart attack 10 minutes later, as he writhed and mumbled.
A timeline into the inmate's execution process released by the state's Corrections Department on Thursday also revealed that the convicted murderer and rapist had a self-inflicted wound on his arm and that he had refused to eat or see his attorney during the final hours leading up to the execution, NewsOk reported.
Before the execution on Tuesday, Lockett was also shocked with a taser after refusing to undergo an x-ray that is given to all convicted prisoners.
After the injection was pumped into the inmate's groin, his lower body was covered with a sheet, according to prisons director Robert Patton's letter to Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin, which included a detailed timeline.
Soon after the legal injection; Lockett began writhing, clenching his teeth and straining to lift his head at a time he was supposed to be unconscious. This effect is thought to have been caused by the first of three drugs in the state's new lethal injection combination administered to the inmate.
Lockett died of an apparent heart attack 10 minutes later, authorities said.
The murderer's family has spoken out saying Lockett deserved to pay for his crimes, but no to suffer.
"I'm not seeking financial gain from this," Lockett's stepmother told NBC. "My main thing is I want the process changed...I want them to admit they did wrong and after that, let's change this...If we are going to put people to death, let's do it the right way."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June