'Fargo' True Story or Work of Fiction?
By Sonam Malik | May 2, 2014 8:17 PM EST
"Fargo", FX network TV's new series is reportedly based on true stories and inspired from the 1996 movie of the same name. Before the show starts, the disclaimer reads: "THIS IS A TRUE STORY. The events depicted in this film took place in Minnesota in 2006. At the request of the survivors, the names have been changed. Out of respect for the dead, the rest has been told exactly as it occurred."
However, doubt looms whether the events are based on true stories or are just a work of fiction. The 1996 movie "Fargo" by Coen brothers apparently claims that the events took place in Minnesota in year 1987.
Regarding the truth behind the events in "Fargo" movie, Alice Vincent of The Telegraph wrote in her article titled "The truth behind Fargo's 'true story'" that the, " Opening explanation is an untruth."
She further suggests that once the usage of Internet became prevalent, there were a few critics who decided to check the factuality of events depicted in the Coen Brother's movie and the myth about the brutal events being true still prevails.
When "Fargo" premiered in March 1996, Joel Coen had said, "We wanted to try something based on a real story, and tell it in a way that was very pared down."
He had apparently suggested that the plot of the film was close to the real events.
Moreover, Vincent further notes in her article that Joel's brother Ethan managed to bring out the truth behind calling "Fargo" a true story. The introduction of the published screenplay of the movie has a sentence in it, which reads: "[the film] aims to be both homey and exotic, and pretends to be true."
So does that mean that "Fargo" TV series is also a work of fiction? Reports suggest that the TV series is not inspired from single events but could be an amalgamation of multiple events.
There is still no clarity whether the events depicted on TV really took place or as they say, "truth is sometime stranger than fiction"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 4 New Zealand Promo: Beth Greene’s Brave Side In 'Slabtown'
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2