Philippines ‘Sextortion’ Network Busted: 58 Arrested for Cybersex Blackmailing in ‘Operation Strikeback’
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | May 2, 2014 8:01 PM EST
Police in the Philippines have arrested dozens of suspects linked to cybersex blackmailing cases, in which victims in foreign countries were persuaded to expose themselves in front of webcams or send explicit material and later threatened to send the footage or photos to relatives unless a payment was made.
Phillipines 'Sextortion' network busted: 58 individuals arrested for Cybersex blackmailing. (Representational Picture: Wikimedia Commons/Simon.zfn)
The INTERPOL-coordinated operation resulted in the arrest of 58 individuals, including three men linked to the group which harassed Scottish teenager Daniel Perry, who jumped off the Forth Road Bridge near Edinburg in July last year after being blackmailed.
In the first operation of its kind that busted what has been referred to as 'Sextortion' networks, information shared between the INTERPOL, Hong Kong Police Force, Singapore Police Force and the Philippines National Police (PNP) Anti-Cybercrime Group led to the identification of 190 to 195 individuals working for organized crime groups operating out of the Philippines, INTERPOL said in a press release.
Codenamed Operation Srikeback, the Philippines National Police carried out series of raids around the country on 30 April and 1 May, resulting in the seizure of 250 pieces of electronic evidence including mobile phones, laptops, network and storage devices as well as live ammunition.
Operating in an almost industrial scale from call centre-style offices, such cyber-blackmail operatives are even provided training on how to target innocent women for live webcam sex, and are even offered bonus incentives such as holidays, cash or mobile phones for reaching their financial targets, INTERPOL said in the surprise announcement.
"The scale of these sextortion networks is massive and run with just one goal in mind: to make money regardless of the terrible emotional damage they inflict on their victims," said Sanjay Virmani, Director of the INTERPOL Digital Crime Centre.
"A young Scottish teenager lost his life as a result of this online activity. The impact on his family, friends and wide community cannot be imagined, said Police Scotland's Assistant Chief Constable Malcolm Graham, Major Crime and Public Protection.
"Our message is clear: Our focus is on keeping people safe and there is no hiding place - anywhere in the world - if you are a criminal and you undertake this type of activity, which preys on those who might be the most vulnerable and susceptible to coercion and blackmail."
'Sextortion' has been defined as sexual blackmail in which sexual information or images are used to extort sexual favours or money from the victim, with blackmail demands ranging from $500 to $15,000.
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons/Simon.zfn
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Avril Lavigne And Husband Chad Kroeger Call It Quits
- Racist Note Stereotyping Asian Drivers Left on Parked Car in NSW Sparks Online Outrage
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best