NZ Political Candidate David Seymour’s ‘Hi, Hi, Hi, Hi’ Video Mocked, Becomes Viral
By Anne Lu | May 2, 2014 7:19 PM EST
New Zealand political candidate David Seymour has become a surprise Internet star after his campaign video went “viral” on YouTube. The “Meet David Seymour” video he uploaded on YouTube has caught the attention of people even outside his electorate for being unintentionally funny.
Just two days after Seymour uploaded his video on Monday, he has already amassed over 2,000 views. That number multiplied to more than 13,000 on Friday.
It wasn’t because it was Academy Award-worthy.
According to commenters online, the video can be described as gawky.
Seymour began his introduction video by saying “hi!” from various locations in Epsom, telling the viewers that he wants to be their MP. He did not stay in one location to shoot his campaign. He kept on changing sites throughout the video.
“I must be the first candidate in New Zealand political history to be sunburnt from campaigning,” he said in the video.
He might have just delivered a joke, but it’s hard to tell because his frozen semi-smile remained the same from start to finish.
“I don’t care much for politicians and their grand government schemes. What I care about is the idea that individuals can make a difference in their own lives and the lives of those they care about,” the politician wannabe said.
Online commenters couldn’t decide if the video, which some people now call the “hi, hi, hi, hi” video, was a parody or a real campaign material, with some thinking that it was just plain hilarious.
Although it was obvious that it wasn’t his intention to make his viewers laugh with his campaign video, Seymour showed that he understood how his sudden popularity came about.
Over 2,000 views in two days. The thing about making a viral video is you never quite realise when you're doing it. https://t.co/gLUnvFYDgZ
— David Seymour (@dbseymour) April 30, 2014
And although the “hi, hi, hi, hi” video didn’t quite get the positive response he was aiming for, his Twitter reaction to people’s mocking was met with more respect.
“David Seymour for ACT has gone viral. Mission complete. That’s a very hard thing for a politician to do without doing something scandalous,” one YouTube commenter wrote.
Watch the video:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen