Maruti Suzuki April Sales Declined by 11.4 Percent
By greeshma m | May 2, 2014 7:19 PM EST
Maruti Suzuki, the country's largest car maker's total sales for the month of April declined by 11.4 percent in India.
Maruti Suzuki Banks on Post-election Boost after Q4 Profit Drops 36 Percent
The company on Thursday said that the total vehicle sales stood at 86,196 units, as against the 97,302 units in the corresponding month last year. The domestic sales of the company witnessed a dip by 12.6 percent in the month of April 2014, as against 90,523 units in April 2013. The export of the company saw a growth by 4.4 percent to 7,077 units in April 2014, against 6,779 units in the corresponding month last year.
Maruti's mini passenger segment witnessed a dip in April, compared to last year. It posted a 25 percent decline in sales of its mini-car segment, which includes vehicles like M800, Alto, A-Star and WagonR, in April, as against 34927 units last year. In the compact car segment, Maruti saw a growth of 9.9 percent to 23659 units from 21535 units in April 2013.
The company's Dzire witnessed a downfall of 18 percent to 16,008 units, as against the 19446 units in April 2013. Sales of the mid-sized sedan SX4 saw a plunge 87.4 percent to 76 units, as against the 601 units in April last year.
Sales of utility vehicles - Gypsy, Grand Vitara and Ertiga slumped by to 5,011 units in April, registering 5.8 percent dip against 5,318 units in April 2013.
Maruti is expected to launch a new sedan Ciaz, the replacement of SX4 ahead of the festive season this year. This year also the company could not sell the Kizashi luxury car.
The company fell 1.5 percent in trade on Friday to ₹1,895.90 on BSE after Maruti announced its decline in sales for the month of April.
In March also Maruti's sales saw a plunge in the country. Earlier this week, Maruti announced that the company will not increase the prices of its vehicles in India unless the market condition picks up.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date