Maruti Suzuki April Sales Declined by 11.4 Percent
By greeshma m | May 2, 2014 7:19 PM EST
Maruti Suzuki, the country's largest car maker's total sales for the month of April declined by 11.4 percent in India.
Maruti Suzuki Banks on Post-election Boost after Q4 Profit Drops 36 Percent
The company on Thursday said that the total vehicle sales stood at 86,196 units, as against the 97,302 units in the corresponding month last year. The domestic sales of the company witnessed a dip by 12.6 percent in the month of April 2014, as against 90,523 units in April 2013. The export of the company saw a growth by 4.4 percent to 7,077 units in April 2014, against 6,779 units in the corresponding month last year.
Maruti's mini passenger segment witnessed a dip in April, compared to last year. It posted a 25 percent decline in sales of its mini-car segment, which includes vehicles like M800, Alto, A-Star and WagonR, in April, as against 34927 units last year. In the compact car segment, Maruti saw a growth of 9.9 percent to 23659 units from 21535 units in April 2013.
The company's Dzire witnessed a downfall of 18 percent to 16,008 units, as against the 19446 units in April 2013. Sales of the mid-sized sedan SX4 saw a plunge 87.4 percent to 76 units, as against the 601 units in April last year.
Sales of utility vehicles - Gypsy, Grand Vitara and Ertiga slumped by to 5,011 units in April, registering 5.8 percent dip against 5,318 units in April 2013.
Maruti is expected to launch a new sedan Ciaz, the replacement of SX4 ahead of the festive season this year. This year also the company could not sell the Kizashi luxury car.
The company fell 1.5 percent in trade on Friday to ₹1,895.90 on BSE after Maruti announced its decline in sales for the month of April.
In March also Maruti's sales saw a plunge in the country. Earlier this week, Maruti announced that the company will not increase the prices of its vehicles in India unless the market condition picks up.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales