Maruti Suzuki April Sales Declined by 11.4 Percent
By greeshma m | May 2, 2014 7:19 PM EST
Maruti Suzuki, the country's largest car maker's total sales for the month of April declined by 11.4 percent in India.
Maruti Suzuki Banks on Post-election Boost after Q4 Profit Drops 36 Percent
The company on Thursday said that the total vehicle sales stood at 86,196 units, as against the 97,302 units in the corresponding month last year. The domestic sales of the company witnessed a dip by 12.6 percent in the month of April 2014, as against 90,523 units in April 2013. The export of the company saw a growth by 4.4 percent to 7,077 units in April 2014, against 6,779 units in the corresponding month last year.
Maruti's mini passenger segment witnessed a dip in April, compared to last year. It posted a 25 percent decline in sales of its mini-car segment, which includes vehicles like M800, Alto, A-Star and WagonR, in April, as against 34927 units last year. In the compact car segment, Maruti saw a growth of 9.9 percent to 23659 units from 21535 units in April 2013.
The company's Dzire witnessed a downfall of 18 percent to 16,008 units, as against the 19446 units in April 2013. Sales of the mid-sized sedan SX4 saw a plunge 87.4 percent to 76 units, as against the 601 units in April last year.
Sales of utility vehicles - Gypsy, Grand Vitara and Ertiga slumped by to 5,011 units in April, registering 5.8 percent dip against 5,318 units in April 2013.
Maruti is expected to launch a new sedan Ciaz, the replacement of SX4 ahead of the festive season this year. This year also the company could not sell the Kizashi luxury car.
The company fell 1.5 percent in trade on Friday to ₹1,895.90 on BSE after Maruti announced its decline in sales for the month of April.
In March also Maruti's sales saw a plunge in the country. Earlier this week, Maruti announced that the company will not increase the prices of its vehicles in India unless the market condition picks up.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown