'Kya Dilli Kya Lahore' Reviews Roundup: One Time Watch for Storyline
By Ankita Mehta | May 2, 2014 6:48 PM EST
"Kya Dilli Kya Lahore" a satirical film based on the Indo-Pak relation has hit the screens on Friday. Actor Vijay Raaz makes his debut as director with this film.
Facebook/Kya Dilli Kya Lahore
Kya Dilli Kya Lahore
Raaz in his directorial debut has showed pain and agony of people during the partition, but the film fails to impress the critics. The film has received mixed reviews from critics' upon its release.
Produced by Karan Arora and Wave Cinema Ponty Chhada, the film features Raaz and Manu Rishi in lead role.
Check out the reviews here:
Shubhra Gupta of Indian Express said: "There's something about the film that reminds you of the Bosnian Oscar winner "No Man's Land," which was a poignant reminder of the futility of war, and the tragic waste of human lives. "Kya Dilli Kya Lahore" had the potential to be as powerful, maybe more, because it is our story. So many people still remember Partition as if it was yesterday, and so many people have still have such strong familial connections on either side of the border.
"There could be no better person than Gulzar to present this film, and many of the dialogues are lovely. But the film doesn't make as much of its subject as it could have. It is static, and goes around in a loop."
Madhureeta Mukherjee of The Times of India said: "To a more contemporary barrage of dialogues. "KDKL" deals out languid laughter and a dark humour-in-uniform. Yet, all of it stems from scarred memories and open wounds of partition that've painfully throbbed over generations.
"Debutant director Vijay Raaz's story stays firmly focused on his two subjects (Rehmat, Samarth), in the same location throughout; with brief inclusion of only two other characters. The plot, (reminiscent of Oscar-winning Bosnian film, 'No Man's Land'), is a rare attempt in Indian cinema.
"One of the finest things about "KDKL" is Gulzar's poetic prologue. Without the usual trappings of filmi fanfare, this story has its heart in the right place - pure and undivided. Like pre-partition brotherhood."
Bollywood Hungama in its review said: "The first half of the film is actually a conversation between Raaz and Rishi, both of whom brag about the grass being greener on their side. Due to a sudden turn of events, Raaz, who initially overpowers Rishi and takes him to his seniors, is now at the gun point of Indian Army's postman [played by Raj Zutshi].
"Full marks to the art director, who recreated the Wagah border in Fiji, although there are places wherein the locations starts looking monotonous/stereotyped.
"On the whole, "KYA DILLI KYA LAHORE" is a one-time watch mainly for its offbeat storyline."
Suprateek Chatterjee of Firstpost said: "In a rare and nuanced manner, Kya Dilli... relies on nothing, but acting and dialogue to establish its plot and characterisation. The bulk of the storyline, written by Aseem Arora, is a classic cat-and-mouse game, with the camera never leaving Rehmat and Pratap. Their conversation flows naturally and logically, driven by both their implanted beliefs as well as their memories of a life before Partition, where they stayed in a seemingly pluralistic society.
"It's an evergreen story that works on every basic level and the performances keep us hooked.
"Kya Dilli... deserves to be watched, but the filmed version is still a gem that needed a little more polish."
Image credit: Facebook/Kya Dilli Kya Lahore
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Captain America 3’: Red Skull Returns, Greater Villains Added
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged