'Kya Dilli Kya Lahore' Reviews Roundup: One Time Watch for Storyline
By Ankita Mehta | May 2, 2014 6:48 PM EST
"Kya Dilli Kya Lahore" a satirical film based on the Indo-Pak relation has hit the screens on Friday. Actor Vijay Raaz makes his debut as director with this film.
Facebook/Kya Dilli Kya Lahore
Kya Dilli Kya Lahore
Raaz in his directorial debut has showed pain and agony of people during the partition, but the film fails to impress the critics. The film has received mixed reviews from critics' upon its release.
Produced by Karan Arora and Wave Cinema Ponty Chhada, the film features Raaz and Manu Rishi in lead role.
Check out the reviews here:
Shubhra Gupta of Indian Express said: "There's something about the film that reminds you of the Bosnian Oscar winner "No Man's Land," which was a poignant reminder of the futility of war, and the tragic waste of human lives. "Kya Dilli Kya Lahore" had the potential to be as powerful, maybe more, because it is our story. So many people still remember Partition as if it was yesterday, and so many people have still have such strong familial connections on either side of the border.
"There could be no better person than Gulzar to present this film, and many of the dialogues are lovely. But the film doesn't make as much of its subject as it could have. It is static, and goes around in a loop."
Madhureeta Mukherjee of The Times of India said: "To a more contemporary barrage of dialogues. "KDKL" deals out languid laughter and a dark humour-in-uniform. Yet, all of it stems from scarred memories and open wounds of partition that've painfully throbbed over generations.
"Debutant director Vijay Raaz's story stays firmly focused on his two subjects (Rehmat, Samarth), in the same location throughout; with brief inclusion of only two other characters. The plot, (reminiscent of Oscar-winning Bosnian film, 'No Man's Land'), is a rare attempt in Indian cinema.
"One of the finest things about "KDKL" is Gulzar's poetic prologue. Without the usual trappings of filmi fanfare, this story has its heart in the right place - pure and undivided. Like pre-partition brotherhood."
Bollywood Hungama in its review said: "The first half of the film is actually a conversation between Raaz and Rishi, both of whom brag about the grass being greener on their side. Due to a sudden turn of events, Raaz, who initially overpowers Rishi and takes him to his seniors, is now at the gun point of Indian Army's postman [played by Raj Zutshi].
"Full marks to the art director, who recreated the Wagah border in Fiji, although there are places wherein the locations starts looking monotonous/stereotyped.
"On the whole, "KYA DILLI KYA LAHORE" is a one-time watch mainly for its offbeat storyline."
Suprateek Chatterjee of Firstpost said: "In a rare and nuanced manner, Kya Dilli... relies on nothing, but acting and dialogue to establish its plot and characterisation. The bulk of the storyline, written by Aseem Arora, is a classic cat-and-mouse game, with the camera never leaving Rehmat and Pratap. Their conversation flows naturally and logically, driven by both their implanted beliefs as well as their memories of a life before Partition, where they stayed in a seemingly pluralistic society.
"It's an evergreen story that works on every basic level and the performances keep us hooked.
"Kya Dilli... deserves to be watched, but the filmed version is still a gem that needed a little more polish."
Image credit: Facebook/Kya Dilli Kya Lahore
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Oct. 20-24, 2014, Plus Additional Spoilers For Oct. 27, 2014: Nina Makes Public Rosalie’s Secret
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks