'Kya Dilli Kya Lahore' Reviews Roundup: One Time Watch for Storyline
By Ankita Mehta | May 2, 2014 6:48 PM EST
"Kya Dilli Kya Lahore" a satirical film based on the Indo-Pak relation has hit the screens on Friday. Actor Vijay Raaz makes his debut as director with this film.
Facebook/Kya Dilli Kya Lahore
Kya Dilli Kya Lahore
Raaz in his directorial debut has showed pain and agony of people during the partition, but the film fails to impress the critics. The film has received mixed reviews from critics' upon its release.
Produced by Karan Arora and Wave Cinema Ponty Chhada, the film features Raaz and Manu Rishi in lead role.
Check out the reviews here:
Shubhra Gupta of Indian Express said: "There's something about the film that reminds you of the Bosnian Oscar winner "No Man's Land," which was a poignant reminder of the futility of war, and the tragic waste of human lives. "Kya Dilli Kya Lahore" had the potential to be as powerful, maybe more, because it is our story. So many people still remember Partition as if it was yesterday, and so many people have still have such strong familial connections on either side of the border.
"There could be no better person than Gulzar to present this film, and many of the dialogues are lovely. But the film doesn't make as much of its subject as it could have. It is static, and goes around in a loop."
Madhureeta Mukherjee of The Times of India said: "To a more contemporary barrage of dialogues. "KDKL" deals out languid laughter and a dark humour-in-uniform. Yet, all of it stems from scarred memories and open wounds of partition that've painfully throbbed over generations.
"Debutant director Vijay Raaz's story stays firmly focused on his two subjects (Rehmat, Samarth), in the same location throughout; with brief inclusion of only two other characters. The plot, (reminiscent of Oscar-winning Bosnian film, 'No Man's Land'), is a rare attempt in Indian cinema.
"One of the finest things about "KDKL" is Gulzar's poetic prologue. Without the usual trappings of filmi fanfare, this story has its heart in the right place - pure and undivided. Like pre-partition brotherhood."
Bollywood Hungama in its review said: "The first half of the film is actually a conversation between Raaz and Rishi, both of whom brag about the grass being greener on their side. Due to a sudden turn of events, Raaz, who initially overpowers Rishi and takes him to his seniors, is now at the gun point of Indian Army's postman [played by Raj Zutshi].
"Full marks to the art director, who recreated the Wagah border in Fiji, although there are places wherein the locations starts looking monotonous/stereotyped.
"On the whole, "KYA DILLI KYA LAHORE" is a one-time watch mainly for its offbeat storyline."
Suprateek Chatterjee of Firstpost said: "In a rare and nuanced manner, Kya Dilli... relies on nothing, but acting and dialogue to establish its plot and characterisation. The bulk of the storyline, written by Aseem Arora, is a classic cat-and-mouse game, with the camera never leaving Rehmat and Pratap. Their conversation flows naturally and logically, driven by both their implanted beliefs as well as their memories of a life before Partition, where they stayed in a seemingly pluralistic society.
"It's an evergreen story that works on every basic level and the performances keep us hooked.
"Kya Dilli... deserves to be watched, but the filmed version is still a gem that needed a little more polish."
Image credit: Facebook/Kya Dilli Kya Lahore
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border