‘The Amazing Spider-Man 2’ Review Roundup: Watch it for Emma Stone-Andrew Garfield Romance
By Keerthi Mohan | May 2, 2014 6:10 PM EST
“The Amazing Spider-Man 2” seems to be garnering mixed reviews from critics who have praised the sizzling chemistry between lead pair Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone, and at the same time lambasting the sequel’s plot, which seems to lose direction halfway.
Actors Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield pose for photographs at the world premiere of The Amazing Spiderman 2 in central London, April 10, 2014. REUTERS/Olivia Harris
The film opens with Richard Parker and his wife Mary leaving their six-year-old son, Peter, at his aunt’s place with just two parting words “Be Good.” Now, a grown up Peter finds the clues that his father left behind to about the path-breaking scientific discovery that got his parents killed.
While the story starts off pleasantly enough, with a number of adorable Peter-Gwen scenes being its highlights, the introduction of too many villains has been pointed as one of the movie’s drawbacks.
First there is Electro (Jamie Foxx), a nerdy Oscorp engineer who later falls into a tank of eels and becomes the supercharged super-villain. Then there is Peter’s friend Harry Osborn, played by Dane DeHaan, who is dying and believes that only Spider-Man’s blood can save him.
The movie has garnered only 56 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, the movie review aggregator. “While the cast is outstanding and the special effects are top-notch, the latest installment of the Spidey saga suffers from an unfocused narrative and an overabundance of characters,” a review on the site read.
“When the screenplay focuses on its villains, it strays from its own reality and gets lazy, something not even Jamie Foxx's best efforts can overcome,” another review noted.
Meanwhile, Garfield and Stone have been receiving a lot of praises for their on-screen chemistry and multiple reviews note that it was the only highlight of the movie.
“Garfield gives Peter a touching sensitivity and Spidey the playful wryness the Marvel Comics creators first envisioned. Stone's Gwen is flinty, flirty and super-smart. Though she is forever being swept off her feet, quite literally, she never swoons. Together they give the film heart and a true romance-styled love that fits the fantasy of this make-believe world,” a Los Angeles Times review read.
The movie is directed by Marc Webb and it opens in the U.S. theatres on 2 May.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China