Arsenal FC Transfer News: Barcelona will Pay Bilbao Defender's Buy-Out Clause to Beat Gunners
By Mark Wayne Eubank | May 2, 2014 5:47 PM EST
FC Barcelona are reported to be leading the race against Arsenal in signing Athletic Bilbao defender Aymeric Laporte as they are willing to pay for his £29.5million buy-out clause.
Barcelona's Lionel Messi vies for the ball against Athletic Bilbao's goalkeeper Gorka Iraizoz and Aymeric Laporte during their La Liga soccer match at Camp Nou stadium in Barcelona
The 19-year-old France Under-21 member started 33 times for the Lions in the La Liga and the Copa del Rey, helping them reach the quarter-finals in the latter tournament, while fighting for a slot in the Champions League as they are currently occupying the fourth spot with three more games to go in the domestic league.
The young centre-back can also be attributed with Bilbao's fine form in defence, conceding only 38 goals in the Spanish top-flight, thus far, and coming out with nine clean sheets while he was on the pitch.
The Catalan outfit will be looking to add a legitimate stopper at the back, with converted full-back Javier Mascherano filling in for the injury-prone Carles Puyol, who is expected to leave this summer, while the Gunners are looking for a replacement for outgoing skipper Thomas Vermaelen.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’