Arsenal FC Transfer News: Barcelona will Pay Bilbao Defender's Buy-Out Clause to Beat Gunners
By Mark Wayne Eubank | May 2, 2014 5:47 PM EST
FC Barcelona are reported to be leading the race against Arsenal in signing Athletic Bilbao defender Aymeric Laporte as they are willing to pay for his £29.5million buy-out clause.
Barcelona's Lionel Messi vies for the ball against Athletic Bilbao's goalkeeper Gorka Iraizoz and Aymeric Laporte during their La Liga soccer match at Camp Nou stadium in Barcelona
The 19-year-old France Under-21 member started 33 times for the Lions in the La Liga and the Copa del Rey, helping them reach the quarter-finals in the latter tournament, while fighting for a slot in the Champions League as they are currently occupying the fourth spot with three more games to go in the domestic league.
The young centre-back can also be attributed with Bilbao's fine form in defence, conceding only 38 goals in the Spanish top-flight, thus far, and coming out with nine clean sheets while he was on the pitch.
The Catalan outfit will be looking to add a legitimate stopper at the back, with converted full-back Javier Mascherano filling in for the injury-prone Carles Puyol, who is expected to leave this summer, while the Gunners are looking for a replacement for outgoing skipper Thomas Vermaelen.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June