'Fargo': Is Fargo Based on a Real Murder Case?
By Anshu Shrivastava | May 2, 2014 4:59 PM EST
At the beginning of each "Fargo" episode, dramatic text messages remind the viewers that the events depicted in the show have been derived from a true story. Coen brothers' movie "Fargo" also has similar text messages. However, both the T.V. adaptation and the movie are only pretending to be true, and are not based on a single incident that happened in Minnesota. It is said that several incidents have provided the ideas for the story of "Fargo."
Here is an incident that may be close to "Fargo" story: The Wood Chipper Murder Case in Connecticut: Helle Crafts, a Danish flight attendant, was murdered by her husband, Richard Crafts, in Newtown, Connecticut, in the year 1986. He reportedly killed her and chopped her body with a chainsaw. Afterwards, he fed her dismembered body through a wood chipper and scattered the pieces in the river. Helle had begun divorce proceedings with her husband because of his affairs. When Helle's friends started calling, Richard told a few that Helle has gone to Denmark to visit her mother, and to others he said that he does not know where Helle has gone and why. Her friends grew suspicious, as she had told them a month before her sudden disappearance that: "If you ever hear that I've been in an accident or I'm missing - don't believe it."
According to a New York Times' report, in the first trial, the prosecution had presented as evidence -- believed to be Crafts's only remains -- "a piece of a gold-capped tooth, a few strands of blond hair, the tip of a thumb and less than an ounce of bone fragments, the largest piece of which is only an inch and a half long."
In 1990, Richard was sentenced to 50 years in prison.
The text messages that appear at the beginning of FX Network's "Fargo":
"THIS IS A TRUE STORY. The events depicted took place in Minnesota in 2006. At the request of the survivors, the names have been changed. Out of the respect for the dead, the rest has been told exactly as it occurred." The movie makes the same claim though the year is 1987.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone