'Fargo': Is Fargo Based on a Real Murder Case?
By Anshu Shrivastava | May 2, 2014 4:59 PM EST
At the beginning of each "Fargo" episode, dramatic text messages remind the viewers that the events depicted in the show have been derived from a true story. Coen brothers' movie "Fargo" also has similar text messages. However, both the T.V. adaptation and the movie are only pretending to be true, and are not based on a single incident that happened in Minnesota. It is said that several incidents have provided the ideas for the story of "Fargo."
Here is an incident that may be close to "Fargo" story: The Wood Chipper Murder Case in Connecticut: Helle Crafts, a Danish flight attendant, was murdered by her husband, Richard Crafts, in Newtown, Connecticut, in the year 1986. He reportedly killed her and chopped her body with a chainsaw. Afterwards, he fed her dismembered body through a wood chipper and scattered the pieces in the river. Helle had begun divorce proceedings with her husband because of his affairs. When Helle's friends started calling, Richard told a few that Helle has gone to Denmark to visit her mother, and to others he said that he does not know where Helle has gone and why. Her friends grew suspicious, as she had told them a month before her sudden disappearance that: "If you ever hear that I've been in an accident or I'm missing - don't believe it."
According to a New York Times' report, in the first trial, the prosecution had presented as evidence -- believed to be Crafts's only remains -- "a piece of a gold-capped tooth, a few strands of blond hair, the tip of a thumb and less than an ounce of bone fragments, the largest piece of which is only an inch and a half long."
In 1990, Richard was sentenced to 50 years in prison.
The text messages that appear at the beginning of FX Network's "Fargo":
"THIS IS A TRUE STORY. The events depicted took place in Minnesota in 2006. At the request of the survivors, the names have been changed. Out of the respect for the dead, the rest has been told exactly as it occurred." The movie makes the same claim though the year is 1987.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 2’ Nebula Is Alive And James Gunn Wants Fans To See More Of Her
- Selena Gomez And Justin Bieber: Songstress Fears Pregnancy After Experiencing Pregnancy Symptoms—Report
- 'American Horror Story' Season 4 Episode 8 Spoilers: Big Twist Features Dandy In Blood Bath
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Katey Sagal On Gemma Teller’s Fate in ‘Red Rose’ [VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers – ‘Coda’: Midseason Finale Is ‘Heartbreaking’ And ‘Gut-Wrenching’
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones