'Fargo': Is Fargo Based on a Real Murder Case?
By Anshu Shrivastava | May 2, 2014 4:59 PM EST
At the beginning of each "Fargo" episode, dramatic text messages remind the viewers that the events depicted in the show have been derived from a true story. Coen brothers' movie "Fargo" also has similar text messages. However, both the T.V. adaptation and the movie are only pretending to be true, and are not based on a single incident that happened in Minnesota. It is said that several incidents have provided the ideas for the story of "Fargo."
Here is an incident that may be close to "Fargo" story: The Wood Chipper Murder Case in Connecticut: Helle Crafts, a Danish flight attendant, was murdered by her husband, Richard Crafts, in Newtown, Connecticut, in the year 1986. He reportedly killed her and chopped her body with a chainsaw. Afterwards, he fed her dismembered body through a wood chipper and scattered the pieces in the river. Helle had begun divorce proceedings with her husband because of his affairs. When Helle's friends started calling, Richard told a few that Helle has gone to Denmark to visit her mother, and to others he said that he does not know where Helle has gone and why. Her friends grew suspicious, as she had told them a month before her sudden disappearance that: "If you ever hear that I've been in an accident or I'm missing - don't believe it."
According to a New York Times' report, in the first trial, the prosecution had presented as evidence -- believed to be Crafts's only remains -- "a piece of a gold-capped tooth, a few strands of blond hair, the tip of a thumb and less than an ounce of bone fragments, the largest piece of which is only an inch and a half long."
In 1990, Richard was sentenced to 50 years in prison.
The text messages that appear at the beginning of FX Network's "Fargo":
"THIS IS A TRUE STORY. The events depicted took place in Minnesota in 2006. At the request of the survivors, the names have been changed. Out of the respect for the dead, the rest has been told exactly as it occurred." The movie makes the same claim though the year is 1987.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 4 New Zealand Promo: Beth Greene’s Brave Side In 'Slabtown'
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy