Mayweather Contemplates Retirement After Maidana Bout While Pacquiao Ponders Contract Extension with Top Rank
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 2, 2014 4:52 PM EST
Floyd Mayweather contemplates on retiring after his fight against Marcos Maidana on May 3, while his long-time rival Manny Pacquiao ponders on extending his contract with Bob Arum's Top Rank, according to recent reports.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr smiles as he greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto [Reuters/SIPHIWE SIBEKO]
Mayweather close friend Nate Jones told the New York Daily News that the undefeated boxer has somewhat gotten tired of all the media hype, long press tours, and especially the recovery process after every fight to make him start thinking about his retirement from the world of boxing.
"He'd just become tired of the training, the rigors of the sport, the media, the tours, the people begging him for stuff," Mr. Jones said. He added that Mayweather has just gotten worn-out and fatigued by the entire monotonous routine and sometimes the Grand Rapids native boxer wants to get away from the spotlight. "He's just tired of the regimen, of the whole game," Mr. Jones added. "He wants to get away sometimes, now that his kids are taken care of, he thinks about it."
During a press conference for his upcoming May 3 fight, Mayweather also hinted on retirement. He said that he isn't worried about having a 50-0 record (currently, he's at 45-0). In fact, he is even thinking about retirement almost every day. "I be contemplating every day, getting out of the sport now," Mayweather said.
Mayweather further told the New York Daily News that he can walk away from the sport whenever he wants to. "If I feel like walking away, then I'm walking way."
Meanwhile, as Mayweather mulls over retirement, his nemesis Manny Pacquiao gives consideration to extending his contract with Bob Arum's Top Rank Promotions. Pacquiao's promoter Arum told ESPN that he's having discussions about having five more fights for the eight-division Filipino world champion. "We are talking about a lot of things," Arum said. The Hall of Fame promoter said they are talking about how many fights will be held in the U.S. and in Macau.
Pacquiao's financial adviser Michael Koncz also confirmed that the two camps are indeed having some negotiations although nothing has been finalised yet. Koncz noted that Arum had been so kind to Team Pacquiao but said they cannot guarantee that they will sign with him again. "We have other offers on the table and we will look at all our options and decide what's best for Manny," Koncz said. The Canadian, however, refused to elaborate further details on the subject of where Pacquiao' is getting "other offers" from, but Koncz made it clear that Pacquiao's camp isn't having talks with Golden Boy Promotions.
Whether Pacquiao extends his contract with Top Rank or not, Koncz said that Mayweather wouldn't be the reason if the Filipino's camp finally reaches a decision.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools