Mayweather Contemplates Retirement After Maidana Bout While Pacquiao Ponders Contract Extension with Top Rank
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 2, 2014 4:52 PM EST
Floyd Mayweather contemplates on retiring after his fight against Marcos Maidana on May 3, while his long-time rival Manny Pacquiao ponders on extending his contract with Bob Arum's Top Rank, according to recent reports.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr smiles as he greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto [Reuters/SIPHIWE SIBEKO]
Mayweather close friend Nate Jones told the New York Daily News that the undefeated boxer has somewhat gotten tired of all the media hype, long press tours, and especially the recovery process after every fight to make him start thinking about his retirement from the world of boxing.
"He'd just become tired of the training, the rigors of the sport, the media, the tours, the people begging him for stuff," Mr. Jones said. He added that Mayweather has just gotten worn-out and fatigued by the entire monotonous routine and sometimes the Grand Rapids native boxer wants to get away from the spotlight. "He's just tired of the regimen, of the whole game," Mr. Jones added. "He wants to get away sometimes, now that his kids are taken care of, he thinks about it."
During a press conference for his upcoming May 3 fight, Mayweather also hinted on retirement. He said that he isn't worried about having a 50-0 record (currently, he's at 45-0). In fact, he is even thinking about retirement almost every day. "I be contemplating every day, getting out of the sport now," Mayweather said.
Mayweather further told the New York Daily News that he can walk away from the sport whenever he wants to. "If I feel like walking away, then I'm walking way."
Meanwhile, as Mayweather mulls over retirement, his nemesis Manny Pacquiao gives consideration to extending his contract with Bob Arum's Top Rank Promotions. Pacquiao's promoter Arum told ESPN that he's having discussions about having five more fights for the eight-division Filipino world champion. "We are talking about a lot of things," Arum said. The Hall of Fame promoter said they are talking about how many fights will be held in the U.S. and in Macau.
Pacquiao's financial adviser Michael Koncz also confirmed that the two camps are indeed having some negotiations although nothing has been finalised yet. Koncz noted that Arum had been so kind to Team Pacquiao but said they cannot guarantee that they will sign with him again. "We have other offers on the table and we will look at all our options and decide what's best for Manny," Koncz said. The Canadian, however, refused to elaborate further details on the subject of where Pacquiao' is getting "other offers" from, but Koncz made it clear that Pacquiao's camp isn't having talks with Golden Boy Promotions.
Whether Pacquiao extends his contract with Top Rank or not, Koncz said that Mayweather wouldn't be the reason if the Filipino's camp finally reaches a decision.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 US Open: Down Goes Maria Sharapova, BF Grigor Dimitrov Advances
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers