Bob Dwyer May Take Over NSW Waratahs
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | May 2, 2014 3:44 PM EST
Former Wallabies coach Bob Dwyer may soon take over NSW Waratahs.
Dwyer, along with a small of group of Sydney-based associates, have talked to the NSW Rugby Union and Australian Rugby Union to take over the licence to run Waratahs.
"The Waratahs were structured that way so that this exact thing could be done if people came forward ... For some time myself and a few others have been talking about doing something. From our point of view the most important part of our drive is to support community rugby and, off the back of that, strengthen the professional game," Dwyer said.
Jason Allen, the chief of Waratahs also confirmed interested parties have approached the organisation to take over the franchise license which will expire at the end of 2014.
"All interest at this stage is quite preliminary ... We've had a number of interested parties knock on our door - more than six since I have been in the job - to discuss the possibility of privatisation, some with greater conviction and depth than others ... Recently though we have had a number of new partners come to us with potential offers of private equity involvement. It is a real compliment to the business that with an attacking style of rugby, the influence of [head coach] Michael Cheika and consistency in our commercial model, this is happening," Allen stated.
Bob Dwyer and his group is not the sole party to take over Waratahs. According to espnscrum.com, the second potential party is another group that have ties with the English Premier Rugby union. Allen, however, did not confirm the report.
The Waratahs maintain a complex licencing process with the NSW Rugby and ARU. The club is also bound by the agreement with SANZAR to provide five Super Rugby teams. The ARU further vested NSW the licence to manage the Waratahs.
The licence is slated to expire at the end of 2015. Allen, however, confirmed the deal will be finalised before the deadline.
"We are not being forced into this, we haven't been in the market hunting for investors, we have been really impressed that people are considering this option," Allen added
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners