LA Clippers May Have New Owner Eventually as Donald Sterling Battles Cancer
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 2, 2014 2:42 PM EST
To push for Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling to sell his team after being banned by the NBA for life over racist comments, a 10-member committee met in a conference on Thursday to discuss how to end Sterling's ownership of the basketball team, NBA Executive Vice President Mike Bass said.
Real estate mogul and Los Angeles Clippers NBA basketball team owner Donald Sterling attends the Milken Institute Global Conference in Beverly Hills, California May 1, 2012.
Bass added that the committee unanimously agreed to move forward as fast as possible and would meet again next week, reported ESPN.
However, LA Clippers might eventually have a new owner, whether the NBA succeeds in pressuring Sterling to sell the team or even if the owner decided to battle it out in court.
Nature may intervene since Sterling is said to be battling cancer, the New York Post reports.
However, the daily said that while people were predicting the demise of Sterling two years ago, the LA Clippers owner has money for the best medication, although his medicine is being blamed for Sterling's puffy appearance.
The New York Post said a source confirmed that the 80-year-old controversial owner of the Clippers has prostate cancer, which the paper hinted could be something like a karma on Sterling who 10 years ago refused to pay for prostate cancer surgery for Kim Hughes, the assistant team coach.
Instead four Clippers players pooled their money to cover the $70,000 medical bill of Hughes.
While Sterling has stated the team is not for sale, several celebrities have come forward expressing interest in purchasing the LA Clippers. Among them are TV talk show queen Oprah Winfrey, American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr and rapper Diddy.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Rumours Spice Up as Balotelli is Spotted in New York, where Gunners will Hold Pre-season Camp [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales