Chinese Man Files for Divorce, Blames Smog for Ruining Marriage
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 2, 2014 1:51 PM EST
A man in China filed for divorce after his wife escaped the notorious smog of Beijing and went to a tropical island province along with their son. The man said that their marriage was thereafter destroyed as it became a long-distance relationship.
According to Chinese media reports on Thursday, May 1; the man whose family name is only identified as Wang got married to his wife in 2008. They had a son a couple years later. Several Chinese media giants including the Beijing Times and Xinhua news agency picked up the story and widely circulated it online, Reuters reported.
Wang's son apparently developed critical health problems due to the air pollution in Beijing. That was when his wife took the son to the southern resort island of Hainan so that he could escape the smog. On the other hand, the wife did not like the place. She did not like to live separated from her husband either. According to reports, whenever the couple met, they used to fight with each other. Wang, fed up with regular fights, eventually filed for divorce in a Beijing court.
Wang was quoted saying, "Smog 'buried' my son's health, and it has 'buried' my marriage." Media reports confirm that the divorce case is pending in a Beijing court while it is not unclear what the wife thought of her husband filing for divorce. China's economy has grown hugely over the years. However, the growth has left behind major pollution and environmental problems, inciting unrest and dissatisfaction among the Chinese population. Smog is one of the most significant issues in the bigger cities in the country.
This is, however, not the first incident where one might find the reason for filing divorce a little out of the ordinary. Huffington Post earlier reported about a couple who got divorced over a plate of peas. A woman from Kuwait filed for divorce within a week of her marriage as she found that her husband preferred using bread to a fork for eating peas.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Lightning Strikes Twice: Australian Woman Had Daughter in MH17 & Brother in MH370
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People