Chinese Man Files for Divorce, Blames Smog for Ruining Marriage
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 2, 2014 1:51 PM EST
A man in China filed for divorce after his wife escaped the notorious smog of Beijing and went to a tropical island province along with their son. The man said that their marriage was thereafter destroyed as it became a long-distance relationship.
According to Chinese media reports on Thursday, May 1; the man whose family name is only identified as Wang got married to his wife in 2008. They had a son a couple years later. Several Chinese media giants including the Beijing Times and Xinhua news agency picked up the story and widely circulated it online, Reuters reported.
Wang's son apparently developed critical health problems due to the air pollution in Beijing. That was when his wife took the son to the southern resort island of Hainan so that he could escape the smog. On the other hand, the wife did not like the place. She did not like to live separated from her husband either. According to reports, whenever the couple met, they used to fight with each other. Wang, fed up with regular fights, eventually filed for divorce in a Beijing court.
Wang was quoted saying, "Smog 'buried' my son's health, and it has 'buried' my marriage." Media reports confirm that the divorce case is pending in a Beijing court while it is not unclear what the wife thought of her husband filing for divorce. China's economy has grown hugely over the years. However, the growth has left behind major pollution and environmental problems, inciting unrest and dissatisfaction among the Chinese population. Smog is one of the most significant issues in the bigger cities in the country.
This is, however, not the first incident where one might find the reason for filing divorce a little out of the ordinary. Huffington Post earlier reported about a couple who got divorced over a plate of peas. A woman from Kuwait filed for divorce within a week of her marriage as she found that her husband preferred using bread to a fork for eating peas.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS