Chinese Man Files for Divorce, Blames Smog for Ruining Marriage
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 2, 2014 1:51 PM EST
A man in China filed for divorce after his wife escaped the notorious smog of Beijing and went to a tropical island province along with their son. The man said that their marriage was thereafter destroyed as it became a long-distance relationship.
According to Chinese media reports on Thursday, May 1; the man whose family name is only identified as Wang got married to his wife in 2008. They had a son a couple years later. Several Chinese media giants including the Beijing Times and Xinhua news agency picked up the story and widely circulated it online, Reuters reported.
Wang's son apparently developed critical health problems due to the air pollution in Beijing. That was when his wife took the son to the southern resort island of Hainan so that he could escape the smog. On the other hand, the wife did not like the place. She did not like to live separated from her husband either. According to reports, whenever the couple met, they used to fight with each other. Wang, fed up with regular fights, eventually filed for divorce in a Beijing court.
Wang was quoted saying, "Smog 'buried' my son's health, and it has 'buried' my marriage." Media reports confirm that the divorce case is pending in a Beijing court while it is not unclear what the wife thought of her husband filing for divorce. China's economy has grown hugely over the years. However, the growth has left behind major pollution and environmental problems, inciting unrest and dissatisfaction among the Chinese population. Smog is one of the most significant issues in the bigger cities in the country.
This is, however, not the first incident where one might find the reason for filing divorce a little out of the ordinary. Huffington Post earlier reported about a couple who got divorced over a plate of peas. A woman from Kuwait filed for divorce within a week of her marriage as she found that her husband preferred using bread to a fork for eating peas.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans