Chinese Man Files for Divorce, Blames Smog for Ruining Marriage
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | May 2, 2014 1:51 PM EST
A man in China filed for divorce after his wife escaped the notorious smog of Beijing and went to a tropical island province along with their son. The man said that their marriage was thereafter destroyed as it became a long-distance relationship.
According to Chinese media reports on Thursday, May 1; the man whose family name is only identified as Wang got married to his wife in 2008. They had a son a couple years later. Several Chinese media giants including the Beijing Times and Xinhua news agency picked up the story and widely circulated it online, Reuters reported.
Wang's son apparently developed critical health problems due to the air pollution in Beijing. That was when his wife took the son to the southern resort island of Hainan so that he could escape the smog. On the other hand, the wife did not like the place. She did not like to live separated from her husband either. According to reports, whenever the couple met, they used to fight with each other. Wang, fed up with regular fights, eventually filed for divorce in a Beijing court.
Wang was quoted saying, "Smog 'buried' my son's health, and it has 'buried' my marriage." Media reports confirm that the divorce case is pending in a Beijing court while it is not unclear what the wife thought of her husband filing for divorce. China's economy has grown hugely over the years. However, the growth has left behind major pollution and environmental problems, inciting unrest and dissatisfaction among the Chinese population. Smog is one of the most significant issues in the bigger cities in the country.
This is, however, not the first incident where one might find the reason for filing divorce a little out of the ordinary. Huffington Post earlier reported about a couple who got divorced over a plate of peas. A woman from Kuwait filed for divorce within a week of her marriage as she found that her husband preferred using bread to a fork for eating peas.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- UN Vows to Bring MH17 Crash Perpetrators to Justice; Downing of Plane a 'War Crime'
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- A Mother Of Two Dies While Undergoing Stem Cell Treatment
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Human Guinea Pigs for Google Health Projects