Celebrities Sport Kim Jong Un Haircut: North Korea Allegedly Orders Students to Follow Leader's Haircut
By Jenille Cristy Maido | May 2, 2014 1:37 PM EST
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un’s hairstyle is a controversial hairstyle. It has been a subject of false reports and myriad of Photoshop manipulations. In a new post by the social news and entertainment Web site Buzzfeed, several Hollywood popular celebrities' hairstyles have been creatively manipulated to follow Kim Jong Un's prized haircut.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un receives applause as he guides the multiple-rocket launching drill of women's sub-units under KPA Unit 851, in this undated photo released by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) April 24, 2014.
The photo post starts with Prince Charles and Prince William who, in all seriousness, wears the iconic hair. American rapper 50 Cent came in third, subsequently followed by other popular Hollywood stars like Miley Cyrus, George Clooney, Pharrell Williams, Bruce Willis, Samuel Jackson, Kelly Osbourne, Jimmy Fallon and The Smith Family.
— BuzzFeed (@BuzzFeed) May 1, 2014
Moreover, plenty of spreading rumours about the North Korea and Kim Jong Un have something to do with the leader's hair. In a report by Radio Free Asia, the ruling Workers' Party of the country allegedly issued an order early in March 2014 that all male students in the country are required to follow the Supreme Leader's hairstyle which is basically comprised of highly shaved sides and a parted top.
Students, on the other hand, are "disgruntled" by the rule, expressing their concern that the haircut does not suit every face shapes. However, mandatory haircut is said to be an unfounded rumour according to a source, and there are no supporting evidence that Kim Jong Un's hairstyle has been widely followed by the students.
There is a lot of mystery engulfing the North Korean territory which is often pitted against its wealthier neighbour South Korea. While the country and its young leader is often a subject in the world news headline, there are very limited information on the way of life of its citizens.
Tagged as the "hermit kingdom," North Korea is strict when it comes to privacy and have a very tight media censorship. Foreigners cannot easily enter the country and they are under scrutiny when they do. For years, the country have been under the radar of the United Nations for venturing into nuclear weapons and threatening wars.
Kim Jong Un's signature haircut is just one of the subjects spreading in the Internet and considered as joke. However, there are more political and societal issues the country is battling with, and some of those include issues regarding human rights and threats of war.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Kylie Jenner Shamed for Range Rover Boasts
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Exits DWTS For Jennifer Lopez --- Reports
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff