Gas Explosion Kills 2 in Florida Jail, Dozens Injured (PHOTOS)
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 2, 2014 1:32 PM EST
Two people have died and more than 180 people have been injured after a powerful suspected gas explosion blasted through the Escambia County Jail in northwest Florida on Wednesday night. The fatalities were inmates.
The explosion severely damaged a portion of the jail. It likewise rattled houses as far as three miles away.
"The explosion shook us so hard it was like we were in an earthquake," inmate Monique Barnes told The Associated Press. She said the impact was so great it knocked her off from her fourth-floor bunk.
Inmates reported smelling gas ahead of the blast. Some complained of headaches.
Hundreds of inmates and corrections officers used a single stairwell during the evacuation. "Everyone was pushing and bleeding," she said.
The explosion was believed to have originated on the first floor in a rear laundry room.
"The building is still standing, it's just unstable and partially collapsed," Kathleen Castro, county spokeswoman, said. "We have reports people heard an explosion and smelled gas. There was no fire," she said.
The ceiling and part of a wall of the facility had collapsed.
She noted the blast may have been related to the severe storms that struck the southern United States, which damaged buildings and infrastructure.
"The facility did receive extensive flooding as a result of the rains yesterday," Castro said.
Up to 150 inmates and corrections officers were injured. There were about 600 inmates - 200 men and 400 women - in the building at the time.
The uninjured inmates were transferred to jails in neighboring counties.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown