Xbox One Coming to China in September; 'Halo' on Xbox One New Detail Surfaces
By Gel Galang | May 2, 2014 1:26 PM EST
For the longest time, the Xbox One has been lagging a bit behind the PS4 in terms of units sold worldwide in the supposed console wars.
This time, a new market has opened up that could potentially open and change the flow of the game. Over at Xbox Newswire, Microsoft has announced that its partnership with BesTV New Media Co., subsidiary of Shanghai Media Group, will allow for the Xbox One to get into the Chinese market come September 2014, which will mark the first official launch of the Xbox One in China.
"Launching Xbox One in China is a significant milestone for us and for the industry, and it's a step forward in our vision to deliver the best games and entertainment experiences to more fans around the world," said Yusuf Mehdi, corporate VP of marketing, strategy and business for Xbox, wrote on the Xbox Newswire.
From the looks of it, the Xbox One will be positioned as more than just a gaming console. It will promote games, online education and a fitness experience for those in the territory, taking advantage of the well-received Xbox Fitness apps.
It would be very interesting to see where the China venture for the Xbox One will affect the current flow of the market in gaming. On the one hand, there's no mistaking the $13 billion market in the territory is ripe for the picking if companies position their products right.
But on the other hand, there are skeptics who have greeted the Xbox One's venture to China with lack of a successful view of the matter. In an interview with VG 24/7, Piers Harding-Rolls of IHS Technology has commented the move does not guarantee success for the console—at least not overnight—despite preparations and positioning of the Xbox One.
"What is clear is that, in a market where very few consumers game on consoles, success will not happen overnight. It will take significant time to educate the Chinese audience about the Xbox brand and Xbox One device—so strategic longevity, deep financial pockets and commercial staying power will all play a role in building towards success in the territory," said Harding-Rolls to VG 24/7.
Harding-Rolls does, however, note that being the first one in the market would allow Microsoft a leverage over the PS4 in terms of exposure, similar to the one which the previous has enjoyed in some territories during its launch period.
New Multiplayer Game Modes Coming to 'Halo' on Xbox One?
Apart from the Xbox One TV originals for "Halo," which includes the digital feature with Ridley Scott as executive producer and the "Halo" TV series with Steven Spielberg as executive producer, the upcoming Xbox One game for the "Halo" franchise has not yet been detailed.
But a new detail coming from a job listing was spotted for the "Halo" on Xbox One, as 343 Industries goes on a search for a senior multiplayer designer.
DualShockers reports the position is looking for someone who is capable of implementing features in a competitive multiplayer (PVP) experience and will be in charge of "balancing and tuning existing competitive experiences, creating, developing, and delivering all new Halo MP game modes."
This may be the added new element of the "Halo" franchise for its latest installment, considering there are a lot of features focusing on the multiplayer game modes of the title.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'GTA V' For PC, PS4, Xbox One: More DLC Updates And Release Confirmed This Fall
- Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire May Not Be The Only Pokemon Game With This ‘Shocking’ Project
- 'Minecraft' 1.8 Update Gets 'Minecraft' 14w34b Snapshot, 'Minecraft PS Vita' Trailer And A Possible Oculus Rift Port
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. Asus Zenfone 4 Price And Specifications Comparison [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Neo vs. LG G2 Specs And Price Comparison In Australia
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display