Donald Sterling's Racism Issue: Public Comments on Privacy and Freedom of Expression
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | May 2, 2014 1:17 PM EST
NBA's LA Clippers Owner Donald Sterling has been given punishment for his recent racist remarks involving the league recently. With the lambasting of political figures, league players, celebrities, and the common people in Sterling's direction, some people otherwise look at the issue differently and veer way in casting stones to the old man.
Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling sits on the sidelines wathcing his team play the New York Knicks in their NBA basketball game in Los Angeles in this February 11, 2009 file photo. NBA officials are reviewing an audio recording posted online of Sterling allegedly telling his girlfriend not to post photos of herself with black people and not to bring African-Americans to Clippers games, a league spokesman said on Saturday. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson
Last Tuesday Adam Silver, commissioner of the NBA banned Sterling for life, disallowing him to participate in any business dealings in the league. To add insult to injury, Sterling was obliged to sell his LA Clippers team, of which the final verdict is still in hostile waters.
Since Sterling's racism news broke out, majority of the Americans, along some people around the globe sympathized with the general sentiments against racism. To further bury Sterling to the ground for his racist remarks, numerous news and critics were dug up about the old man's history and other recent acts. According to various reports, it turns out not as a surprise that Sterling already had lots of previous racism acts attributed to him.
But in one news post, people started to look at the factor of privacy and freedom of expression. Certainly Sterling expressed actions worthy of investigation and judgment, but his words were uttered privately. In retrospect, the American people are given the right to freedom, of which.entails responsibilty for every action. Some people start to look at this angle and now contemplate if Sterling deserved his recent judgment.
Though one thread of comments from people with different opinion couldn't be enough to make one realisation valid, it could spark more educated and balanced views of this particular racism issue.
In the comments section from Huffington Post's News, people speak up of their views.
He should have the freedom to think what he wants to think. He should have the freedom to say what he wants to say. He also has to take the responsibility that comes with that freedom. Being banned for saying what he said in private is wrong. We have all said things in private that others would disagree with," commented Steve Lancaster.
"In condemning the freedom of one man you condemn the freedom of all. We must live in a country that punishes based on people's actions not based on their opinion or thoughts," added Stephen J.
"With the on-going scandal regarding Sterling and his mistress one is lead to believe that our privacy may be at risk. If we want to use a magnifying glass to examining other's actions and comments then we should also examine ourselves; seriously, I wonder what you will find?" another comment by Race.
In Braden Goyette's words on his report for Huffington Post, "Donald Sterling's racism has been roundly rejected by everyone from Snoop Dogg to the president - but when it comes to everyday acts of insidious, life-ruining racism, there are many more like him out there."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- WWE SummerSlam: Orton Vs Reigns Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers