'Star Wars VII' New Cast: Daisy Ridley As Jaina Solo, Adam Driver A Sith, Other Rumoured Roles
By Tanya Diente | May 2, 2014 9:12 AM EST
Ever since JJ Abrams revealed the new cast of "Star Wars VII," fans have been speculating on whose characters they will portray. Newcomers include Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Adam Driver, Domhnall Gleeson and Oscar Isaac.
Writer/Director/Producer J.J. Abrams (top center in glasses) conducts a cast reading for "Star Wars: Episode VII" at Pinewood Studios in Buckinghamshire in this publicity photo taken and released to Reuters April 29, 2014. Clockwise from Abrams are Harrison Ford, Daisy Ridley, Carrie Fisher, Peter Mayhew, Producer Bryan Burk, Lucasfilm President and Producer Kathleen Kennedy, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Mark Hamill, Andy Serkis, Oscar Isaac, John Boyega, Adam Driver and writer Lawrence Kasdan. REUTERS/David James/Copyright (c) Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All Rights Reserved/The Walt Disney Company/Handout
There's talk that she will portray Jaina Solo, the daughter of Han Solo and Princess Leia. The fact that she is the only new major female cast alleviates this assumption. Furthermore, in the cast reading photo as seen here on E! Online, Daisy was seated between Harrison Ford (Han Solo) and Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia).
The "Attack the Block" actor was first listed in StarWars.com's non-alphabetical cast list. This could mean he will play the biggest role, with The Independent speculating he could play an up-and-coming Jedi of some sort or the son of Lando Calrissian.
The Independent reported that the 6-foot-3 GAP model is rumoured to play the chief villain in the film (like Darth Vader) because of his Sith-like look (see picture in Metro). Driver described himself to NY Times as a sight gag with a really big face and considers his looks as "ugly handsome".
Another possible role suggests Driver will portray that of Han Solo's son Jacen, who fell to the Dark Side in his desire to protect the galaxy at any cost. Jacen later on became Darth Caedus in the comics. Although this is just a theory, clarifies The Independent, since Lucasfilm has said that it won't be following "Expanded Universe." But who knows?
Fresh from his movie "Inside Llewyn Davis", Isaac's role is hard to determine. A rising star like Harrison Ford when he was cast as Han Solo, Isaac could play the second most important role in the movie.
Gleeson starred opposite Rachel McAdams in "About Time," but viewers might remember him in his role as Bill Weasley in the "Harry Potter" movie series. Speculations have arrisen that the long dead Obi-Wan Kenobi (played by Ewan McGregor) might be resurrected in the new "Star Wars" film, which part Gleeson is set to play, because of his hair and orange beard (see photo from Mugglenet).
Fans are counting the days til the movie "Star Wars VII" comes out in theaters. Meanwhile, here are a couple of reactions to the new cast and movie:
— MuggleNet.com (@MuggleNet) April 30, 2014
(Credit: YouTube/Escapist News)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- MH17: Shrapnel Hits Plane, Russia Calls for UN-led Investigation