Boxing News 2014: Will Pacquiao-Marquez 5 Be Held in Macau in 2015?
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 2, 2014 9:05 AM EST
Is the Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez 5 fight underway? The fifth match between the two boxers was hinted by Filipino boxing expert Joaquin Henson in his sports column in a local daily.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines battles Juan Manuel Marquez of Mexico during their World Boxing Organization welterweight title fight Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Henson wrote that Top Rank CEO Bob Arum plans to boost the pay-per-view market in China, and he plans to do that by holding interesting bouts in Macau. He said it could possibly include the speculated Pacquiao-Marquez 5 rematch.
For the Pacquiao-Marquez 4 fight when the eight-division title holder was knocked out by the Mexican boxer, the PPV was 1.5 million. But in Pacquiao's match in November 2013 against Brandon Rios, the PPV was just one-third at 500,000.
But before the Pacquiao-Marquez 5 happens, Marquez would need to win over Mike Alvaro on May 17. Holding the rematch in the Chinese city, however, is also a gamble on Arum's part.
Henson explained, "If Arum brings a fifth Pacquiao-Marquez duel to Macau, he will lose the large Mexican audience that is a staple in Las Vegas but could make it up with a huge Filipino turnout and a pay-per-view breakthrough in China."
Arum said that besides Marquez, other potential foes of Pacquiao in the ring include Puerto Rican boxer Miguel Cotto in a rematch, Argentinean Sergio Martinez, Mike Alvarado and Russian Ruslan Provodnikov.
Cotto and Martinez are slated to meet on June 7 in a middleweight bout.
But of course, the dream match would still be the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight. However, Money May has indicated he is not interested in the bout if the Filipino champion would remain with Top Rank. Pacquiao's contract with the promoter is until December 2014, but he is negotiating for its extension.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies