Boxing News 2014: Will Pacquiao-Marquez 5 Be Held in Macau in 2015?
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 2, 2014 9:05 AM EST
Is the Manny Pacquiao-Juan Manuel Marquez 5 fight underway? The fifth match between the two boxers was hinted by Filipino boxing expert Joaquin Henson in his sports column in a local daily.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines battles Juan Manuel Marquez of Mexico during their World Boxing Organization welterweight title fight Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
Henson wrote that Top Rank CEO Bob Arum plans to boost the pay-per-view market in China, and he plans to do that by holding interesting bouts in Macau. He said it could possibly include the speculated Pacquiao-Marquez 5 rematch.
For the Pacquiao-Marquez 4 fight when the eight-division title holder was knocked out by the Mexican boxer, the PPV was 1.5 million. But in Pacquiao's match in November 2013 against Brandon Rios, the PPV was just one-third at 500,000.
But before the Pacquiao-Marquez 5 happens, Marquez would need to win over Mike Alvaro on May 17. Holding the rematch in the Chinese city, however, is also a gamble on Arum's part.
Henson explained, "If Arum brings a fifth Pacquiao-Marquez duel to Macau, he will lose the large Mexican audience that is a staple in Las Vegas but could make it up with a huge Filipino turnout and a pay-per-view breakthrough in China."
Arum said that besides Marquez, other potential foes of Pacquiao in the ring include Puerto Rican boxer Miguel Cotto in a rematch, Argentinean Sergio Martinez, Mike Alvarado and Russian Ruslan Provodnikov.
Cotto and Martinez are slated to meet on June 7 in a middleweight bout.
But of course, the dream match would still be the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight. However, Money May has indicated he is not interested in the bout if the Filipino champion would remain with Top Rank. Pacquiao's contract with the promoter is until December 2014, but he is negotiating for its extension.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’