Boxing News 2014: Floyd Mayweather to Get $32 Million Guaranteed Purse for Saturday Fight; Marcos Maidana to Receive $1.5 Million
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 2, 2014 8:56 AM EST
On Saturday, May 3, American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr would be richer by a minimum of $32 million, the guarantee purse for his bout against Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana, regardless if he wins or loses the fight.
In contrast, Maidana would get a measly guaranteed purse of $1.5 million, according to contracts filed with the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
But that's only the floor amount because both boxers would still get their respective shares from pay-per-views. For Maidana, the pay-per-views from Argentina would be tax-free in the U.S.
But Mail Online said that projection is the Mayweather-Maidana bout would get less than one million pay-per-views, which is low for a Mayweather fight. The British daily pointed out that the said ring battle is generating less audience interest because boxing fans want a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight which Money May has been dodging.
The $32 million, however, is "smaller" compared to the record $41.5 million guaranteed purse that Money May got in September in his battle versus Saul "Canelo" Alvarez. It is the same amount he got when he was pitted against Miguel Cotto in 2012 and Robert Guerrero in 2013.
For the undercard bout, Amir Khan has a $1.5 million guaranteed purse, while opponent Luis Collazo would get at least $350,000.
Given the big amount waiting Money May, expect the unbeaten boxer to post photos and videos of himself, through his social media accounts, with the prize money as he had done in the past.
With an estimated wealth of more than $400 million, Mayweather has so much money that he is mulling buying the LA Clippers after the NBA hinted that team owner David Sterling might be forced to sell his team after he was permanently banned from the basketball league over racist remarks. But Sterling insisted the team is not for sale.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People