Boxing News 2014: Floyd Mayweather to Get $32 Million Guaranteed Purse for Saturday Fight; Marcos Maidana to Receive $1.5 Million
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 2, 2014 8:56 AM EST
On Saturday, May 3, American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr would be richer by a minimum of $32 million, the guarantee purse for his bout against Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana, regardless if he wins or loses the fight.
In contrast, Maidana would get a measly guaranteed purse of $1.5 million, according to contracts filed with the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
But that's only the floor amount because both boxers would still get their respective shares from pay-per-views. For Maidana, the pay-per-views from Argentina would be tax-free in the U.S.
But Mail Online said that projection is the Mayweather-Maidana bout would get less than one million pay-per-views, which is low for a Mayweather fight. The British daily pointed out that the said ring battle is generating less audience interest because boxing fans want a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight which Money May has been dodging.
The $32 million, however, is "smaller" compared to the record $41.5 million guaranteed purse that Money May got in September in his battle versus Saul "Canelo" Alvarez. It is the same amount he got when he was pitted against Miguel Cotto in 2012 and Robert Guerrero in 2013.
For the undercard bout, Amir Khan has a $1.5 million guaranteed purse, while opponent Luis Collazo would get at least $350,000.
Given the big amount waiting Money May, expect the unbeaten boxer to post photos and videos of himself, through his social media accounts, with the prize money as he had done in the past.
With an estimated wealth of more than $400 million, Mayweather has so much money that he is mulling buying the LA Clippers after the NBA hinted that team owner David Sterling might be forced to sell his team after he was permanently banned from the basketball league over racist remarks. But Sterling insisted the team is not for sale.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Women’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 - Li Na, Sharapova, Kvitova, And Williams
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR Preview
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date