Boxing News 2014: Floyd Mayweather to Get $32 Million Guaranteed Purse for Saturday Fight; Marcos Maidana to Receive $1.5 Million
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 2, 2014 8:56 AM EST
On Saturday, May 3, American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr would be richer by a minimum of $32 million, the guarantee purse for his bout against Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana, regardless if he wins or loses the fight.
In contrast, Maidana would get a measly guaranteed purse of $1.5 million, according to contracts filed with the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
But that's only the floor amount because both boxers would still get their respective shares from pay-per-views. For Maidana, the pay-per-views from Argentina would be tax-free in the U.S.
But Mail Online said that projection is the Mayweather-Maidana bout would get less than one million pay-per-views, which is low for a Mayweather fight. The British daily pointed out that the said ring battle is generating less audience interest because boxing fans want a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight which Money May has been dodging.
The $32 million, however, is "smaller" compared to the record $41.5 million guaranteed purse that Money May got in September in his battle versus Saul "Canelo" Alvarez. It is the same amount he got when he was pitted against Miguel Cotto in 2012 and Robert Guerrero in 2013.
For the undercard bout, Amir Khan has a $1.5 million guaranteed purse, while opponent Luis Collazo would get at least $350,000.
Given the big amount waiting Money May, expect the unbeaten boxer to post photos and videos of himself, through his social media accounts, with the prize money as he had done in the past.
With an estimated wealth of more than $400 million, Mayweather has so much money that he is mulling buying the LA Clippers after the NBA hinted that team owner David Sterling might be forced to sell his team after he was permanently banned from the basketball league over racist remarks. But Sterling insisted the team is not for sale.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate