Boxing News 2014: Floyd Mayweather to Get $32 Million Guaranteed Purse for Saturday Fight; Marcos Maidana to Receive $1.5 Million
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 2, 2014 8:56 AM EST
On Saturday, May 3, American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr would be richer by a minimum of $32 million, the guarantee purse for his bout against Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana, regardless if he wins or loses the fight.
In contrast, Maidana would get a measly guaranteed purse of $1.5 million, according to contracts filed with the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
But that's only the floor amount because both boxers would still get their respective shares from pay-per-views. For Maidana, the pay-per-views from Argentina would be tax-free in the U.S.
But Mail Online said that projection is the Mayweather-Maidana bout would get less than one million pay-per-views, which is low for a Mayweather fight. The British daily pointed out that the said ring battle is generating less audience interest because boxing fans want a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight which Money May has been dodging.
The $32 million, however, is "smaller" compared to the record $41.5 million guaranteed purse that Money May got in September in his battle versus Saul "Canelo" Alvarez. It is the same amount he got when he was pitted against Miguel Cotto in 2012 and Robert Guerrero in 2013.
For the undercard bout, Amir Khan has a $1.5 million guaranteed purse, while opponent Luis Collazo would get at least $350,000.
Given the big amount waiting Money May, expect the unbeaten boxer to post photos and videos of himself, through his social media accounts, with the prize money as he had done in the past.
With an estimated wealth of more than $400 million, Mayweather has so much money that he is mulling buying the LA Clippers after the NBA hinted that team owner David Sterling might be forced to sell his team after he was permanently banned from the basketball league over racist remarks. But Sterling insisted the team is not for sale.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report