Boxing News 2014: Floyd Mayweather to Get $32 Million Guaranteed Purse for Saturday Fight; Marcos Maidana to Receive $1.5 Million
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 2, 2014 8:56 AM EST
On Saturday, May 3, American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr would be richer by a minimum of $32 million, the guarantee purse for his bout against Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana, regardless if he wins or loses the fight.
In contrast, Maidana would get a measly guaranteed purse of $1.5 million, according to contracts filed with the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
But that's only the floor amount because both boxers would still get their respective shares from pay-per-views. For Maidana, the pay-per-views from Argentina would be tax-free in the U.S.
But Mail Online said that projection is the Mayweather-Maidana bout would get less than one million pay-per-views, which is low for a Mayweather fight. The British daily pointed out that the said ring battle is generating less audience interest because boxing fans want a Pacquiao-Mayweather fight which Money May has been dodging.
The $32 million, however, is "smaller" compared to the record $41.5 million guaranteed purse that Money May got in September in his battle versus Saul "Canelo" Alvarez. It is the same amount he got when he was pitted against Miguel Cotto in 2012 and Robert Guerrero in 2013.
For the undercard bout, Amir Khan has a $1.5 million guaranteed purse, while opponent Luis Collazo would get at least $350,000.
Given the big amount waiting Money May, expect the unbeaten boxer to post photos and videos of himself, through his social media accounts, with the prize money as he had done in the past.
With an estimated wealth of more than $400 million, Mayweather has so much money that he is mulling buying the LA Clippers after the NBA hinted that team owner David Sterling might be forced to sell his team after he was permanently banned from the basketball league over racist remarks. But Sterling insisted the team is not for sale.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS