OnePlus One: China Rolls Out a Full HD Phone
By Naveena Joy | May 2, 2014 6:53 AM EST
With the growing competition, China has once again slammed back by launching one of the most sought after full HD phone: OnePlus One.
The new Chinese technology start-up firm has launched an affordable high-end phablet dubbed as OnePlus One.
The handset's striking feature the CyanogenMod 11S version based on Android 4.4 KitKat, which shows it is going to tap some of the smartphone categories like Nexus. It will definitely challenge the smartphone makers with its low cost and features offered in smartphones like Samsung and HTC.
The device will be even cheaper than any customer can expect, retailing for either $299/€269 (16 GB version) or $349/€299 (64 GB version) and will be available very soon. The mobile connectivity should support most GSM/LTE networks, including T-Mobile and AT&T in the U.S., but no CDMA 3G or Verizon/Sprint LTE.
Let's now take a look at the specs in this device:
- SoC: Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor with 2.5 GHz quad-core, Adreno 330 GPU
- RAM: 3 GB LP-DDR3
- Storage: 16 GB / 64 GB
- Screen: 5.5-inch JDI (IPS LCD) 1080p resolution with Gorilla Glass 3
- Camera: 13 MP Sony Exmor sensor (f/2.0, flash, and 4K video), front-facing 5MP
- Battery: 3100 mAh (nonremovable)
- Weight: 162 grams
- Size: 152.9 mm x 75.9 mm x 8.9 mm
- Sound: Bottom-mounted stereo speakers
- Wireless: Dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4G/5G) 802.11 b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.1, NFC, GPS/GLONASS
- Mobile connectivity: GSM 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz - WCDMA bands: 1/2/4/5/8 - LTE bands: 1/3/4/7/17/38/40
OnePlus One, does not have sharp edges, it is slightly curved, which is comfortable in carrying it all day. The power button is on the right side and the volume keys are located on the left. The silver plastic is coated with the glass screen cover in the front. But this plastic is visible on the sides as the glass is not covered entirely.
The design of OnePlus One is similar to what we had seen in recent years in Oppo devices, but the layout and the placement of the volume jack differ. It also has the Cyanogen logo visible at the back of the phone. The display is clear, bright and vibrant as the buttons on the front of the device appear as menu button. You can turn off these buttons entirely, which will make the software buttons appear. The custom build of CyanogenMod 11 includes an option to enable onscreen navigation buttons.
The new build of CyanogenMod also has the features you expect, including theme control, SMS encryption, permission control, and other customization options. It has Google services built-in and an updated CM camera and Gallery apps. The device is designed to be open, so you'll be able to flash other ROMs and builds of CM to it.
The first 100 OnePlus One will be available starting April 25 at the company's smash promotion. Initially, the phone will come in two options, including silk white and sandstone black.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Games: The Last of Us Remastered Photo Mode Leaked Shots; Halo: Master Chief Collection Detailed
- Dragon Age 3 Inquisition Romance: Cassandra Pentaghast, Dorian, Cullen, Sera, Iron Bull and Josephine Montilyet
- The SIMS 4 Official System Requirements Reveal Low Spec Demands; Release Date on September 2
- Before Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire: TwitchPlaysPokemon Goes X and Y, More Events and More Gym Leader Info
- Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes Release Date, Features Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy Play Set
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On