Paula Abdul Speaks Up On Kylie Minogue’s Unpaid Dancers Controversy
By Anne Lu | May 2, 2014 12:57 AM EST
Paula Abdul has weighed in on Kylie Minogue’s unpaid dancer controversy. The “So You Think You Can Dance Australia” judge wants to educate people on the importance of recognising the efforts and sacrifices of dancers.
Minogue was recently involved in a controversy regarding the fee of the backup dancers who worked for her music video and her live performance at the Logie Awards.
It was reported that Warner Music advertised for professional dancers to perform for Minogue’s music video for free. Some dancers were paid $100, which is below the industry standard of $550.
The label also offered below par rate for the dancers who performed with Minogue at the Logies on Sunday.
Warner Music has since agreed to pay the correct minimum legal rate for the dancers following the controversy.
Abdul has spoken up about the issue, saying that while Minogue “has a great rapport with dancers,” it’s important that the effort and the training of the dancers are acknowledged.
Abdul, 51, certainly knows what she’s talking about. She isn’t just a talent show judge, she’s also an accomplished performer. She’s a singer, chart-topper, Grammy winner, dancer, choreographer, and a former cheerleader for the Los Angeles Lakers.
She choreographed dance numbers for a number of artists, including The Jackson 5 and Janet Jackson. She also choreographed sequences in films, like Tom Hank’s famous giant keyboard scene in “Big.”
That’s why if anyone knows how hard a dancer’s life is, it’s Abdul.
“Anyone who has tuned in just a little bit to this show knows it’s a gem which sheds a beautiful light on dancers and what they go through and sacrifice,” she said.
“Some people aren’t educated on what it takes to be great at what they do and think dancers do it because it’s a hobby.”
Abdul joined fellow judges Shannon Holtzapffel, Jason Gilkison, and Aaron Cash in “So You Think You Can Judge Australia.” The finale aired Thursday, with Michael Dameski announced as the winner.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- ‘Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice’ Comic-Con Teaser Trailer In Animation [Watch Video]
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 21, 2014: A Party For Hope And Wyatt Affects Liam’s Pride In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 1 Teaser Video: ‘What’s Coming Next’
- 'Suits' Season 4 Spoilers: 'Litt Up' Consequences in Summer Finale; Cliffhanger Awaits, Says Series Creator [Watch Suits 4x10 Promo Video]
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch