Paula Abdul Speaks Up On Kylie Minogue’s Unpaid Dancers Controversy
By Anne Lu | May 2, 2014 12:57 AM EST
Paula Abdul has weighed in on Kylie Minogue’s unpaid dancer controversy. The “So You Think You Can Dance Australia” judge wants to educate people on the importance of recognising the efforts and sacrifices of dancers.
Minogue was recently involved in a controversy regarding the fee of the backup dancers who worked for her music video and her live performance at the Logie Awards.
It was reported that Warner Music advertised for professional dancers to perform for Minogue’s music video for free. Some dancers were paid $100, which is below the industry standard of $550.
The label also offered below par rate for the dancers who performed with Minogue at the Logies on Sunday.
Warner Music has since agreed to pay the correct minimum legal rate for the dancers following the controversy.
Abdul has spoken up about the issue, saying that while Minogue “has a great rapport with dancers,” it’s important that the effort and the training of the dancers are acknowledged.
Abdul, 51, certainly knows what she’s talking about. She isn’t just a talent show judge, she’s also an accomplished performer. She’s a singer, chart-topper, Grammy winner, dancer, choreographer, and a former cheerleader for the Los Angeles Lakers.
She choreographed dance numbers for a number of artists, including The Jackson 5 and Janet Jackson. She also choreographed sequences in films, like Tom Hank’s famous giant keyboard scene in “Big.”
That’s why if anyone knows how hard a dancer’s life is, it’s Abdul.
“Anyone who has tuned in just a little bit to this show knows it’s a gem which sheds a beautiful light on dancers and what they go through and sacrifice,” she said.
“Some people aren’t educated on what it takes to be great at what they do and think dancers do it because it’s a hobby.”
Abdul joined fellow judges Shannon Holtzapffel, Jason Gilkison, and Aaron Cash in “So You Think You Can Judge Australia.” The finale aired Thursday, with Michael Dameski announced as the winner.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Ed Sheeran Disappoints Taylor Swift and Other A-List Celebrities, Scolded for Spilling Secrets - Reports
- Beyonce and Jay Z: HOV May Have a Sextape with Carmen Bryan, Report Suggests; Queen Bey ‘Beyond Furious’
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Find Out: Will Andi Dorfman Accept the Proposal and is She Still With the Winner
- Jim Parsons Quits The Big Bang Theory News Turns Out Hoax, but Actor ‘Not’ Sure about his Return in Season 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Reports: The Truth Behind the Duchess Miscarriage
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies