Paula Abdul Speaks Up On Kylie Minogue’s Unpaid Dancers Controversy
By Anne Lu | May 2, 2014 12:57 AM EST
Paula Abdul has weighed in on Kylie Minogue’s unpaid dancer controversy. The “So You Think You Can Dance Australia” judge wants to educate people on the importance of recognising the efforts and sacrifices of dancers.
Minogue was recently involved in a controversy regarding the fee of the backup dancers who worked for her music video and her live performance at the Logie Awards.
It was reported that Warner Music advertised for professional dancers to perform for Minogue’s music video for free. Some dancers were paid $100, which is below the industry standard of $550.
The label also offered below par rate for the dancers who performed with Minogue at the Logies on Sunday.
Warner Music has since agreed to pay the correct minimum legal rate for the dancers following the controversy.
Abdul has spoken up about the issue, saying that while Minogue “has a great rapport with dancers,” it’s important that the effort and the training of the dancers are acknowledged.
Abdul, 51, certainly knows what she’s talking about. She isn’t just a talent show judge, she’s also an accomplished performer. She’s a singer, chart-topper, Grammy winner, dancer, choreographer, and a former cheerleader for the Los Angeles Lakers.
She choreographed dance numbers for a number of artists, including The Jackson 5 and Janet Jackson. She also choreographed sequences in films, like Tom Hank’s famous giant keyboard scene in “Big.”
That’s why if anyone knows how hard a dancer’s life is, it’s Abdul.
“Anyone who has tuned in just a little bit to this show knows it’s a gem which sheds a beautiful light on dancers and what they go through and sacrifice,” she said.
“Some people aren’t educated on what it takes to be great at what they do and think dancers do it because it’s a hobby.”
Abdul joined fellow judges Shannon Holtzapffel, Jason Gilkison, and Aaron Cash in “So You Think You Can Judge Australia.” The finale aired Thursday, with Michael Dameski announced as the winner.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate