Paula Abdul Speaks Up On Kylie Minogue’s Unpaid Dancers Controversy
By Anne Lu | May 2, 2014 12:57 AM EST
Paula Abdul has weighed in on Kylie Minogue’s unpaid dancer controversy. The “So You Think You Can Dance Australia” judge wants to educate people on the importance of recognising the efforts and sacrifices of dancers.
Minogue was recently involved in a controversy regarding the fee of the backup dancers who worked for her music video and her live performance at the Logie Awards.
It was reported that Warner Music advertised for professional dancers to perform for Minogue’s music video for free. Some dancers were paid $100, which is below the industry standard of $550.
The label also offered below par rate for the dancers who performed with Minogue at the Logies on Sunday.
Warner Music has since agreed to pay the correct minimum legal rate for the dancers following the controversy.
Abdul has spoken up about the issue, saying that while Minogue “has a great rapport with dancers,” it’s important that the effort and the training of the dancers are acknowledged.
Abdul, 51, certainly knows what she’s talking about. She isn’t just a talent show judge, she’s also an accomplished performer. She’s a singer, chart-topper, Grammy winner, dancer, choreographer, and a former cheerleader for the Los Angeles Lakers.
She choreographed dance numbers for a number of artists, including The Jackson 5 and Janet Jackson. She also choreographed sequences in films, like Tom Hank’s famous giant keyboard scene in “Big.”
That’s why if anyone knows how hard a dancer’s life is, it’s Abdul.
“Anyone who has tuned in just a little bit to this show knows it’s a gem which sheds a beautiful light on dancers and what they go through and sacrifice,” she said.
“Some people aren’t educated on what it takes to be great at what they do and think dancers do it because it’s a hobby.”
Abdul joined fellow judges Shannon Holtzapffel, Jason Gilkison, and Aaron Cash in “So You Think You Can Judge Australia.” The finale aired Thursday, with Michael Dameski announced as the winner.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles