Paula Abdul Speaks Up On Kylie Minogue’s Unpaid Dancers Controversy
By Anne Lu | May 2, 2014 12:57 AM EST
Paula Abdul has weighed in on Kylie Minogue’s unpaid dancer controversy. The “So You Think You Can Dance Australia” judge wants to educate people on the importance of recognising the efforts and sacrifices of dancers.
Minogue was recently involved in a controversy regarding the fee of the backup dancers who worked for her music video and her live performance at the Logie Awards.
It was reported that Warner Music advertised for professional dancers to perform for Minogue’s music video for free. Some dancers were paid $100, which is below the industry standard of $550.
The label also offered below par rate for the dancers who performed with Minogue at the Logies on Sunday.
Warner Music has since agreed to pay the correct minimum legal rate for the dancers following the controversy.
Abdul has spoken up about the issue, saying that while Minogue “has a great rapport with dancers,” it’s important that the effort and the training of the dancers are acknowledged.
Abdul, 51, certainly knows what she’s talking about. She isn’t just a talent show judge, she’s also an accomplished performer. She’s a singer, chart-topper, Grammy winner, dancer, choreographer, and a former cheerleader for the Los Angeles Lakers.
She choreographed dance numbers for a number of artists, including The Jackson 5 and Janet Jackson. She also choreographed sequences in films, like Tom Hank’s famous giant keyboard scene in “Big.”
That’s why if anyone knows how hard a dancer’s life is, it’s Abdul.
“Anyone who has tuned in just a little bit to this show knows it’s a gem which sheds a beautiful light on dancers and what they go through and sacrifice,” she said.
“Some people aren’t educated on what it takes to be great at what they do and think dancers do it because it’s a hobby.”
Abdul joined fellow judges Shannon Holtzapffel, Jason Gilkison, and Aaron Cash in “So You Think You Can Judge Australia.” The finale aired Thursday, with Michael Dameski announced as the winner.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Sept. 22-26 Spoilers: Updates On Nick And Sharon’s Wedding, Hilary, Neil, Phyllis, Chelsea, Billy And More
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border