Samsung Galaxy S4, Sony Xperia Z and Galaxy Note II Android 4.4.2 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How To
By Precious Silva | May 1, 2014 11:32 PM EST
Samsung, Sony and Google have always carried out the roll out of Android updates in stages. The number of devices around also makes it difficult for some unit owners to receive updates immediately. Fortunately, for owners of Samsung Galaxy S4, Sony Xperia Z and Galaxy Note 2, some users can already start updating. As for those without the notification yet, it should only be a matter of time because the update becomes available.
A Samsung Electronics' Galaxy S4 (front) and Apple's iPhone 5 smartphones are seen in this picture illustration taken in Seoul May 13, 2013.
According to a report by Android Geeks, Verizon has started rolling out the Android 4.4.2 KitKat update on its Samsung Galaxy S4 devices. Users can check their device's notification to see if they can download and install the firmware. There are several changes the Android 4.4.2 KitKat Verizon update offers. These include improved App Drawer, Setting menu, enhanced UI, better camera features, faster interface, longer battery life, smooth operations between menus and apps as well as tweaks on S features.
XDA Developers member DooMLoRD has also provided more information about the Android 4.4.2 KitKat updateon the Sony Xperia Z. According to the member's post, the update for the device goes by the build number 10.5.A.0.227. The firmware goes by a similar format to the KitKat update released for the Sony Xperia Z1 series. To check if the Android 4.4.2 update is already available to Sony Xperia Z, open Settings > About phone > System update > Check now.
Other users should also check with their carriers if they are in line to receive the update already.
Android 4.4 Kitkat updates for Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy Note 3 and Galaxu Note 10.1 2014 have also been released. People will only need to wait for official notifications on their phones or from their carriers to know when to install.
Sprint previously "leaked" a firmware similar to the reported Android 4.4.3. While the carrier took down the download, this supported reports saying that Google will soon release a major bug fixer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments