Malaysian Airlines Flight 370: Preliminary Report Says It Took 4 Hours Before Launch of Official Rescue Operation Upon Discovery the Jet Was Missing
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 1, 2014 11:31 PM EST
Embattled Malaysia Airlines is expected to elicit more negative feedback from the relatives of the 239 people aboard the missing Boeing 777 jet with two new developments on Thursday.
Malaysians Prime Minister Najib Razak has hinted that the missing Malaysian Airlines MH370 was almost certainly hijacked.
First is the announcement that it would close the Family Assistance Centres in different parts of the world by May 7 and open two similar units in Beijing and Kuala Lumpur.
Second is the release of the preliminary report on the ill-fated Flight 370. Details of the report made by Malaysia's Transportation Ministry said that it took four hours before an official rescue operation was launched, reported CNN.
The plane had actually gone off radar, beginning at 1:21 am of March 8, for 17 minutes before Malaysian aviation officials noticed. Regulations require that the plane crew must contact air traffic control in Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam, but it appears not to have made that move.
After four long hours, Malaysia finally contacted Singapore, Hong Kong and Cambodia. The report didn't explain why there was a four-hour gap and what happened during those hours.
CNN aviation correspondent Richard Quest found the preliminary report, a copy of which was furnished the International Civil Aviation Organisation, lacking in details in comparison to previous preliminary reports of similar disasters. He cited the Air France 447 report which was 128 pages, issued by the French aviation safety agency just one month after the aircraft disappeared.
The report had one safety recommendation, which CNN actually wrote about last week. That is the need to have real-time tracking of commercial planes. The report pointed out "There have now been two occasions during the last five years when large commercial air transport aircraft have gone missing and their last position was not accurately known ... This uncertainty resulted in significant difficulty in locating the aircraft in a timely manner."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
Host 'subweb.ibtimes.com' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL serverSELECT latest_id FROM site_artdata WHERE type='ib_articles_day2ago' Host 'subweb.ibtimes.com' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL serverSELECT tid as num FROM biztimes_stats.stats_articles_au_pop WHERE maincat_id='4' AND outkey='Y' AND tid> ORDER BY hits DESC LIMIT 15Host 'subweb.ibtimes.com' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL serverSELECT article_id as num FROM ib_categories_index WHERE tid=4 ORDER BY article_id DESC LIMIT 5
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine