'Mona Lisa' Actor Bob Hoskins Dies: From Parkinson's Disease to Pneumonia
By Sonalee singh | May 1, 2014 11:19 PM EST
Hollywood Actor Bob Hoskins has recently died at the age of 71. The British Academy of Film and Television Arts ( BAFTA) and Golden Globe winner passed away peacefully in the hospital on April 30, surrounded by his beloved family.
Hoskins, diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 2012, has died after a pneumonia attack. Following Hoskins' death, the family issued a statement saying, "We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Bob. Bob died peacefully at hospital last night surrounded by family, following a bout of pneumonia. We ask that you respect our privacy during this time and thank you for your messages of love and support."
The veteran actor announced his retirement from the film industry after he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.
Parkinson's disease leads to degeneration of central nervous system. It is a movement-related disorder. The disorder includes shaking, rigidity, slowness of movement and difficulty with walking and gait. In its later stages, it could push the patient closer to dementia and depression.
After Hoskins retirement, his spokesman has said in an statement, "[Bob] wishes to thank all the great and brilliant people he has worked with over the years, and all of his fans who have supported him during a wonderful career. Bob is now looking forward to his retirement with his family, and would greatly appreciate that his privacy be respected at this time."
Hoskins was in the movie industry for more than four decades. He started his career in 1970 with "One the Move." He was hailed for his roles in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" and "The Long Good Friday."
He won the Best Actor Cannes award for his path-breaking role in "Mona Lisa," a movie that got him global fame. He was also nominated for Oscars and had won a BAFTA for the same category.
Other roles of Hoskins were playing Cher's love interest in "Mermaids" and as Smee in Dustin Hoffman's and Julia Roberts,' "Hook."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Finale Recap: And The Winner Is…[Spoilers]
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft