'Mona Lisa' Actor Bob Hoskins Dies: From Parkinson's Disease to Pneumonia
By Sonalee singh | May 1, 2014 11:19 PM EST
Hollywood Actor Bob Hoskins has recently died at the age of 71. The British Academy of Film and Television Arts ( BAFTA) and Golden Globe winner passed away peacefully in the hospital on April 30, surrounded by his beloved family.
Hoskins, diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 2012, has died after a pneumonia attack. Following Hoskins' death, the family issued a statement saying, "We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Bob. Bob died peacefully at hospital last night surrounded by family, following a bout of pneumonia. We ask that you respect our privacy during this time and thank you for your messages of love and support."
The veteran actor announced his retirement from the film industry after he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.
Parkinson's disease leads to degeneration of central nervous system. It is a movement-related disorder. The disorder includes shaking, rigidity, slowness of movement and difficulty with walking and gait. In its later stages, it could push the patient closer to dementia and depression.
After Hoskins retirement, his spokesman has said in an statement, "[Bob] wishes to thank all the great and brilliant people he has worked with over the years, and all of his fans who have supported him during a wonderful career. Bob is now looking forward to his retirement with his family, and would greatly appreciate that his privacy be respected at this time."
Hoskins was in the movie industry for more than four decades. He started his career in 1970 with "One the Move." He was hailed for his roles in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" and "The Long Good Friday."
He won the Best Actor Cannes award for his path-breaking role in "Mona Lisa," a movie that got him global fame. He was also nominated for Oscars and had won a BAFTA for the same category.
Other roles of Hoskins were playing Cher's love interest in "Mermaids" and as Smee in Dustin Hoffman's and Julia Roberts,' "Hook."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
Join the Conversation
- Kylie Jenner Shamed for Range Rover Boasts
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Exits DWTS For Jennifer Lopez --- Reports
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff