'Mona Lisa' Actor Bob Hoskins Dies: From Parkinson's Disease to Pneumonia
By Sonalee singh | May 1, 2014 11:19 PM EST
Hollywood Actor Bob Hoskins has recently died at the age of 71. The British Academy of Film and Television Arts ( BAFTA) and Golden Globe winner passed away peacefully in the hospital on April 30, surrounded by his beloved family.
Hoskins, diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 2012, has died after a pneumonia attack. Following Hoskins' death, the family issued a statement saying, "We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Bob. Bob died peacefully at hospital last night surrounded by family, following a bout of pneumonia. We ask that you respect our privacy during this time and thank you for your messages of love and support."
The veteran actor announced his retirement from the film industry after he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.
Parkinson's disease leads to degeneration of central nervous system. It is a movement-related disorder. The disorder includes shaking, rigidity, slowness of movement and difficulty with walking and gait. In its later stages, it could push the patient closer to dementia and depression.
After Hoskins retirement, his spokesman has said in an statement, "[Bob] wishes to thank all the great and brilliant people he has worked with over the years, and all of his fans who have supported him during a wonderful career. Bob is now looking forward to his retirement with his family, and would greatly appreciate that his privacy be respected at this time."
Hoskins was in the movie industry for more than four decades. He started his career in 1970 with "One the Move." He was hailed for his roles in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" and "The Long Good Friday."
He won the Best Actor Cannes award for his path-breaking role in "Mona Lisa," a movie that got him global fame. He was also nominated for Oscars and had won a BAFTA for the same category.
Other roles of Hoskins were playing Cher's love interest in "Mermaids" and as Smee in Dustin Hoffman's and Julia Roberts,' "Hook."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales