'Mona Lisa' Actor Bob Hoskins Dies: From Parkinson's Disease to Pneumonia
By Sonalee singh | May 1, 2014 11:19 PM EST
Hollywood Actor Bob Hoskins has recently died at the age of 71. The British Academy of Film and Television Arts ( BAFTA) and Golden Globe winner passed away peacefully in the hospital on April 30, surrounded by his beloved family.
Hoskins, diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 2012, has died after a pneumonia attack. Following Hoskins' death, the family issued a statement saying, "We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Bob. Bob died peacefully at hospital last night surrounded by family, following a bout of pneumonia. We ask that you respect our privacy during this time and thank you for your messages of love and support."
The veteran actor announced his retirement from the film industry after he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.
Parkinson's disease leads to degeneration of central nervous system. It is a movement-related disorder. The disorder includes shaking, rigidity, slowness of movement and difficulty with walking and gait. In its later stages, it could push the patient closer to dementia and depression.
After Hoskins retirement, his spokesman has said in an statement, "[Bob] wishes to thank all the great and brilliant people he has worked with over the years, and all of his fans who have supported him during a wonderful career. Bob is now looking forward to his retirement with his family, and would greatly appreciate that his privacy be respected at this time."
Hoskins was in the movie industry for more than four decades. He started his career in 1970 with "One the Move." He was hailed for his roles in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" and "The Long Good Friday."
He won the Best Actor Cannes award for his path-breaking role in "Mona Lisa," a movie that got him global fame. He was also nominated for Oscars and had won a BAFTA for the same category.
Other roles of Hoskins were playing Cher's love interest in "Mermaids" and as Smee in Dustin Hoffman's and Julia Roberts,' "Hook."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
Join the Conversation
- Joan Rivers Left $150 Million Legacy To Her Only Child, Care For Her Four Pooches Included In Her Will
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- Kendall Jenner Distances Self From The Kardashians, Prefers Kim Kardashian West To Be Absent In Her Modelling Shows
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up