5 Reasons to Make You Eat Almonds
By Karla Danica Figuerres | May 1, 2014 11:02 PM EST
Nutritionists and researchers after studying the health benefits of almonds will present new findings on eating this type of nut. The discussion is set next week on American Society of Nutrition annual meeting.
Five new important reasons will make you eat more almonds:
1. Less Belly Fat - Belly fat is bad not only for our looks but also for our body. It sticks around the organs and increases the chance of getting a chronic disease. A new Penn State study of 52 adults with elevated LDL cholesterol or people who consumed 1.5 ounces a day of almonds for six consecutive weeks reduced their belly fat and waist measurement more than those with high-carbohydrate, calorie-matched snack.
2. Lower Cholesterol - Eating almonds can also lower LDL or bad cholesterol. People eating almonds are 44 percent less probable to have high LDL unlike those who don't eat almonds, according to the study of new Louisiana State University study with 24,808 adults as their subjects.
3. Fewer Cravings - Eat 1.5 ounces of dry-roasted, lightly salted almonds during snacks can be a big help to curb participants' appetites and control their blood sugar based on the study conducted by Purdue University among 137 adults.
4. Less Inflammation - According to a Chinese study, type 2 diabetics who ate 1.5 ounces of almonds continuously each day for three consecutive months noticeably improved their bodies' levels of oxidative stress and inflammation.
5. Healthier Baby Bumps - Presently, half the number of women increase too much weight right after or during pregnancy, raising their chances of gestational diabetes, high blood pressure and pre-eclampsia. But a recent study showed that almonds can be a big help. A study on overweight and obese women by California researchers presented that eating 2 ounces of almonds increases satiety, reduces appetite and may promote healthy weight gain during pregnancy.
Undoubtedly, there is a myriad of reasons eating almonds is a healthy snack that can be an alternative to high calorie diet. Eat almonds and live a healthier life!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Mars Unusual Feature: Alien Skull Buried In Martian Sand
- Seals In Antarctica Are Sexually Assaulting King Penguins
- Accidental Electrocution Makes 12-Year-Old Russian Boy ‘Magnetic’ Similar To X-Men Character
- Stephen Hawking's Facebook Posts Tell You How The Cosmologist Reacts To 'Theory Of Everything' And 'Interstellar'
- Zero-Gravity Update: Coffee Machine Brews Fresh ISSpresso For Astronauts
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports