5 Reasons to Make You Eat Almonds
By Karla Danica Figuerres | May 1, 2014 11:02 PM EST
Nutritionists and researchers after studying the health benefits of almonds will present new findings on eating this type of nut. The discussion is set next week on American Society of Nutrition annual meeting.
Five new important reasons will make you eat more almonds:
1. Less Belly Fat - Belly fat is bad not only for our looks but also for our body. It sticks around the organs and increases the chance of getting a chronic disease. A new Penn State study of 52 adults with elevated LDL cholesterol or people who consumed 1.5 ounces a day of almonds for six consecutive weeks reduced their belly fat and waist measurement more than those with high-carbohydrate, calorie-matched snack.
2. Lower Cholesterol - Eating almonds can also lower LDL or bad cholesterol. People eating almonds are 44 percent less probable to have high LDL unlike those who don't eat almonds, according to the study of new Louisiana State University study with 24,808 adults as their subjects.
3. Fewer Cravings - Eat 1.5 ounces of dry-roasted, lightly salted almonds during snacks can be a big help to curb participants' appetites and control their blood sugar based on the study conducted by Purdue University among 137 adults.
4. Less Inflammation - According to a Chinese study, type 2 diabetics who ate 1.5 ounces of almonds continuously each day for three consecutive months noticeably improved their bodies' levels of oxidative stress and inflammation.
5. Healthier Baby Bumps - Presently, half the number of women increase too much weight right after or during pregnancy, raising their chances of gestational diabetes, high blood pressure and pre-eclampsia. But a recent study showed that almonds can be a big help. A study on overweight and obese women by California researchers presented that eating 2 ounces of almonds increases satiety, reduces appetite and may promote healthy weight gain during pregnancy.
Undoubtedly, there is a myriad of reasons eating almonds is a healthy snack that can be an alternative to high calorie diet. Eat almonds and live a healthier life!
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop