Aussie F1 Racer Mark Webber Takes Maria Sharapova on a Ride in a Porsche 918 Spyder; See Photo of Webber’s Porsche Hybrid Sports Car
By Rachelle Corpuz | May 1, 2014 5:34 PM EST
Aussie Formula One (F1) racer Mark Webber lets his Porsche 918 Spyder car does the bragging to impress the Russian tennis superstar Maria Sharapova when he took her for a ride in the streets of Germany.
A photographer takes pictures of a Porsche 918 Spyder at the Jacob Javits Convention Center during the New York International Auto Show in New York April 17, 2014. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
According to The Washington Post, Sharapova enjoyed a little trip as a passenger of the expensive car on Sunday. It was a day before she competed in the finals of the 2014 Porsche Tennis Grand Prix tournament against Ana Ivanovic in Stuttgart, Germany. Sharapova eventually ended up bringing home the trophy, her third consecutive win in the said tournament.
"It was very exciting for me," Sharapova said. "You feel like you're in a real sports car," she added.
Watch the video here.
Webber was in attendance to watch Sharapova's semi-finals match against Italy's Sara Errani. He said Sharapova did wonderful in the game. "Maria played really well today," said Webber. "She looked very strong."
Webber said he used to play tennis when he was a young boy. He said that the tennis is a popular sport in Australia, and he is friends with tennis superstars Lleyton Hewitt and Pat Rafter. Thus, tennis is really not something new to him.
"I have an interest in it," he said.
"I've been to Wimbledon, I've been to Australian Open, of course, now today, here at the Porsche tournament."
Webber said that he owns a tennis court back home and he enjoys playing tennis too.
Both Sharapova and Webber represent the popular and luxurious car brand. Sharapova was named Porsche's global brand ambassador in 2012. The Russian athlete, who just celebrated her 27th birthday, was delighted of such honour of being able to represent the said car manufacturer.
"Maria Sharapova is an exceptional athlete," Porsche's chief executive officer, Matthias Mueller, said in a press release. "She combines top performance in her sports with elegance and power." Mueller said that those qualities are exactly the same qualities that their sports cars have.
As for Webber, the 37-year-old race car driver signed a contract with Porsche that will last for a number of years. For the 2014-2015 Le Mans season, Webber will drive the new Porsche 919 Hybrid sports car, in addition to the other five drivers. Gizmodo.com.au said that the hybrid car "sounds utterly crazy."
"The 919 Hybrid combines a highly turbocharged two-litre-four-cylinder with energy recovery and a battery-based electric motor driving the racer's front wheels under acceleration."
Webbers' Porsche 919 Hybrid can challenge Audi's R18-e-Tron when it comes to its "super-compact, super light prototype chassis."
MORE SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles