AFL Preview: St. Kilda Defender Sam Fisher Will Miss Upcoming Match with Hawthorn
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | May 1, 2014 5:31 PM EST
St. Kilda defender Sam Fisher will not be playing for the upcoming AFL match with Hawthorn on Saturday. Fisher will instead appear for the VFL match on Sunday.
Alan Richardson, the Saints coach stated that Fisher missed the coach as he was on the way to recovery from a hamstring injury. Fisher also has to play another match with Sandringham to get back on the list.
"He travelled with us to New Zealand and we were really hopeful he would be able to play but he didn't quite come up in the training sessions ... He's a really important player but he has missed too much footy now, so he'll play VFL (with) fairly significant minutes and he might be a chance for the following week," Richardson said.
The Saints are also likely to make a change in the team as rookie Eli Templeton suffered a broken arm in the match against the Brisbane Lions.
St. Kilda has not been impressive so far as they lost another three points in Wellington.
"We had a really disappointing game against the Crows and responded really well against the Bombers the week after ... I would be surprised if we didn't respond strongly in terms of our energy and effort, particularly early in the game against the Hawks," Richardson added.
Captain Nick Riewoldt also was unable to show great performance against the Lions as he scored only one goal. Coach Richardson has high hopes for the skipper and expected his performance better than before.
"He didn't have a great game but he, like the team, responded in terms of him wanting to get the team over the line late ... He seems to be in pretty good shape and I'm expecting him to be strong again this one," Richardson added.
Richardson's strategy against the Hawthorns was to place a formidable defence against the reigning champions.
"Their rebound is as good, if not better, than any team in the competition ... If we don't get our team defence strong, we'll struggle to keep them to a losing score," Richardson concluded.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]