Ellen Degeneres Serves as an Inspiration for Ellen Page
By Annie Dee | May 1, 2014 4:19 PM EST
Finally, Ellen Degeneres gave her opinion on what she thinks of Ellen Page's brave coming out as a lesbian. Naturally for the veteran comedian host, she praised Ellen Page for doing the extraordinary thing of coming out in a public speech and did not let Hollywood and all its demands on perfection hinder Ellen Page from doing what must be done even though it is the most "scary thing in the world," MTV reports.
Ellen Page certainly did not do it for Ellen, or even for anyone. She came out as a lesbian for herself, so that she can be free to be the person she truly is. On Wednesday, April 30, Ellen Page appeared on the Ellen Degeneres show for an interview on her coming out speech at the HRC's Time to Thrive conference. The two Ellens looked very comfortable with each other because they can relate to each other a lot.
"I am so proud of you for coming out, and I am so happy for you," said DeGeneres. "I know what a scary thing that is."
Ellen Page replied that Ellen Degeneres served as her inspirtation. She also said she thinks Degeneres made it easier for lesbians across the world because Ellen Degeneres managed to come out at a more in an unforgiving and unaccepting era.
Page said DeGeneres was as a source of strength and inspiration, bringing up Ellen's difficult coming out story from the '90s.
"[I'm] grateful to you, because you did it in a time when it was much harder and much scarier," said Page. "I knew I would be a happier person. I knew I was going to feel better ... It's really been quite extoradinary to feel the shift."
Ellen Page talked about her coming out in many media outlets, probably to empower lesbians who have not found their voice to do so yet. For example, in a recent interview with Flare magazine, the actress shared the pressure from Hollywood to remain hidden.
"You hear things like, 'People shouldn't know about your life because you're creating an illusion on-screen.' But I don't see other actresses going to great lengths to hide their heterosexuality. That's an unfair double standard."
For her, coming out now is hard but not as hard as before and this is a sign of something positive.
"I expected so much more hate," she told Flare. "It was just remarkably positive, which is beautiful, because it's indicative of the change that's happening."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS