Ellen Degeneres Serves as an Inspiration for Ellen Page
By Annie Dee | May 1, 2014 4:19 PM EST
Finally, Ellen Degeneres gave her opinion on what she thinks of Ellen Page's brave coming out as a lesbian. Naturally for the veteran comedian host, she praised Ellen Page for doing the extraordinary thing of coming out in a public speech and did not let Hollywood and all its demands on perfection hinder Ellen Page from doing what must be done even though it is the most "scary thing in the world," MTV reports.
Ellen Page certainly did not do it for Ellen, or even for anyone. She came out as a lesbian for herself, so that she can be free to be the person she truly is. On Wednesday, April 30, Ellen Page appeared on the Ellen Degeneres show for an interview on her coming out speech at the HRC's Time to Thrive conference. The two Ellens looked very comfortable with each other because they can relate to each other a lot.
"I am so proud of you for coming out, and I am so happy for you," said DeGeneres. "I know what a scary thing that is."
Ellen Page replied that Ellen Degeneres served as her inspirtation. She also said she thinks Degeneres made it easier for lesbians across the world because Ellen Degeneres managed to come out at a more in an unforgiving and unaccepting era.
Page said DeGeneres was as a source of strength and inspiration, bringing up Ellen's difficult coming out story from the '90s.
"[I'm] grateful to you, because you did it in a time when it was much harder and much scarier," said Page. "I knew I would be a happier person. I knew I was going to feel better ... It's really been quite extoradinary to feel the shift."
Ellen Page talked about her coming out in many media outlets, probably to empower lesbians who have not found their voice to do so yet. For example, in a recent interview with Flare magazine, the actress shared the pressure from Hollywood to remain hidden.
"You hear things like, 'People shouldn't know about your life because you're creating an illusion on-screen.' But I don't see other actresses going to great lengths to hide their heterosexuality. That's an unfair double standard."
For her, coming out now is hard but not as hard as before and this is a sign of something positive.
"I expected so much more hate," she told Flare. "It was just remarkably positive, which is beautiful, because it's indicative of the change that's happening."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2