Ellen Degeneres Serves as an Inspiration for Ellen Page
By Annie Dee | May 1, 2014 4:19 PM EST
Finally, Ellen Degeneres gave her opinion on what she thinks of Ellen Page's brave coming out as a lesbian. Naturally for the veteran comedian host, she praised Ellen Page for doing the extraordinary thing of coming out in a public speech and did not let Hollywood and all its demands on perfection hinder Ellen Page from doing what must be done even though it is the most "scary thing in the world," MTV reports.
Ellen Page certainly did not do it for Ellen, or even for anyone. She came out as a lesbian for herself, so that she can be free to be the person she truly is. On Wednesday, April 30, Ellen Page appeared on the Ellen Degeneres show for an interview on her coming out speech at the HRC's Time to Thrive conference. The two Ellens looked very comfortable with each other because they can relate to each other a lot.
"I am so proud of you for coming out, and I am so happy for you," said DeGeneres. "I know what a scary thing that is."
Ellen Page replied that Ellen Degeneres served as her inspirtation. She also said she thinks Degeneres made it easier for lesbians across the world because Ellen Degeneres managed to come out at a more in an unforgiving and unaccepting era.
Page said DeGeneres was as a source of strength and inspiration, bringing up Ellen's difficult coming out story from the '90s.
"[I'm] grateful to you, because you did it in a time when it was much harder and much scarier," said Page. "I knew I would be a happier person. I knew I was going to feel better ... It's really been quite extoradinary to feel the shift."
Ellen Page talked about her coming out in many media outlets, probably to empower lesbians who have not found their voice to do so yet. For example, in a recent interview with Flare magazine, the actress shared the pressure from Hollywood to remain hidden.
"You hear things like, 'People shouldn't know about your life because you're creating an illusion on-screen.' But I don't see other actresses going to great lengths to hide their heterosexuality. That's an unfair double standard."
For her, coming out now is hard but not as hard as before and this is a sign of something positive.
"I expected so much more hate," she told Flare. "It was just remarkably positive, which is beautiful, because it's indicative of the change that's happening."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Captain America 3’: Red Skull Returns, Greater Villains Added
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display