Honest Look at Taco Bell's Beef Ingredients: Is it Nutritionally Good for You?
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | May 1, 2014 4:16 PM EST
The public may have already been informed about "Taco Bell's" recently revealed beef ingredients. The mystery beef's 12 percent ingredients were explained in the company's official Web site as consumers demanded to know.
Aside from Taco Bell's official statement and explanation of the 12 percent ingredients, some who has read through it still aren't satisfied.
One example is when, "Derek Lowe, a chemist and blogger with a Ph.D. from Duke University, said he sympathizes with people who are surprised these ingredients are food, but he said he has "no patience" with the general argument, "I can't pronounce it, so I won't eat it." reported by Susanna Kim via Good Morning America in ABC's news web page.
Here's added information about Taco Bell's beef ingredients.
It is a known form of food additive that is produced from starch and partial hydrolysis. "Maltodextrin" is a rapidly absorbing form of glucose which is also used in sodas, candy, and other processed foods. It gives food a fat-like body, and increases their shelf life. The bad side for this ingredient concerns only the fitness-conscious individuals. Maltodextrin like any other easily-absorbed carbohydrates get to the bloodstream fast, and if not used for energy right away will turn into fat.
2. Torula Yeast
"Torula" is produced from wood sugars (sugar alcohol, safe for diabetics and individuals with hyperglycemia), that is a byproduct of paper production. It is chemically treated to make a slightly meaty taste. Being part of the nutritional yeasts, Torula contains B vitamins, Chromium (good for muscle building), amino acids and Selenium. Generally, all kinds of yeasts may feed bad bacteria in the body and may contribute to asthma, "Crohn's Disease," and gout.
3. Modified Corn Starch
Also called as starch derivatives, they are chemically, and physically treated to change its properties. In food, it is generally used as a thickening agent, or an emulsifier. There hasn't been further research about modified corn starch. It doesn't provide any unhealthy effects and is just mostly used for food texture.
4. Soy Lecithin
According to Taco Bell's explanation in their Web site, Lecithin aids in binding their products' substances together or otherwise it will separate. It is highly processed and is a genetically modified crop of which origins are undetectable. Its non-toxicity allowed its way to be used in food preparation.
According to Realfarmacy.com, "Soybean lecithin comes from sludge left after crude soy oil goes through a "de-gumming" process. It is a waste product containing solvents and pesticides and has a consistency ranging from a gummy fluid to a plastic solid."
5. Sodium Phosphates
It is often used in leavening agents for baked goods. Sodium phosphate is natural and is utilized by the body in many functions. It is also used in medicine procedures for colonoscopy.
6. Lactic Acid
Its use in food is proven safe and has no adverse effects to the body. It controls the acidity carbonated beverages, cheeses, and keeps olives from spoiling.
7. Caramel Powder and Cocoa Powder
Caramel powder is a water soluble food coloring. It is one of the oldest food colorings widely used in beverages, beer, brown bread, and more. This food additive was proven safe through scientific testing.
Cocoa powder is a mixture of substances after cocoa butter is extracted from cocoa beans. Cocoa powder is rich in "flavonoids", a nutrient that helps in the prevention of cancer.
Is a form of slow absorbing carbohydrate. It's a natural carbohydrate sugar that's been used for food. Fitness enthusiasts may like it for its prolonged energy source for the body.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton: Duchess Of Cambridge's Beauty Secrets Revealed By Her Skin Specialist
- What Quinoa Is And Why It's Good For Weight Loss
- Home Flu Test Kit Available Soon
- Terminally-Ill Australian Mother Fights For Time With Premature Baby; Flooded With Donations
- 5 After-Workout Habits You Should Practice Religiously
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports