Honest Look at Taco Bell's Beef Ingredients: Is it Nutritionally Good for You?
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | May 1, 2014 4:16 PM EST
The public may have already been informed about "Taco Bell's" recently revealed beef ingredients. The mystery beef's 12 percent ingredients were explained in the company's official Web site as consumers demanded to know.
Aside from Taco Bell's official statement and explanation of the 12 percent ingredients, some who has read through it still aren't satisfied.
One example is when, "Derek Lowe, a chemist and blogger with a Ph.D. from Duke University, said he sympathizes with people who are surprised these ingredients are food, but he said he has "no patience" with the general argument, "I can't pronounce it, so I won't eat it." reported by Susanna Kim via Good Morning America in ABC's news web page.
Here's added information about Taco Bell's beef ingredients.
It is a known form of food additive that is produced from starch and partial hydrolysis. "Maltodextrin" is a rapidly absorbing form of glucose which is also used in sodas, candy, and other processed foods. It gives food a fat-like body, and increases their shelf life. The bad side for this ingredient concerns only the fitness-conscious individuals. Maltodextrin like any other easily-absorbed carbohydrates get to the bloodstream fast, and if not used for energy right away will turn into fat.
2. Torula Yeast
"Torula" is produced from wood sugars (sugar alcohol, safe for diabetics and individuals with hyperglycemia), that is a byproduct of paper production. It is chemically treated to make a slightly meaty taste. Being part of the nutritional yeasts, Torula contains B vitamins, Chromium (good for muscle building), amino acids and Selenium. Generally, all kinds of yeasts may feed bad bacteria in the body and may contribute to asthma, "Crohn's Disease," and gout.
3. Modified Corn Starch
Also called as starch derivatives, they are chemically, and physically treated to change its properties. In food, it is generally used as a thickening agent, or an emulsifier. There hasn't been further research about modified corn starch. It doesn't provide any unhealthy effects and is just mostly used for food texture.
4. Soy Lecithin
According to Taco Bell's explanation in their Web site, Lecithin aids in binding their products' substances together or otherwise it will separate. It is highly processed and is a genetically modified crop of which origins are undetectable. Its non-toxicity allowed its way to be used in food preparation.
According to Realfarmacy.com, "Soybean lecithin comes from sludge left after crude soy oil goes through a "de-gumming" process. It is a waste product containing solvents and pesticides and has a consistency ranging from a gummy fluid to a plastic solid."
5. Sodium Phosphates
It is often used in leavening agents for baked goods. Sodium phosphate is natural and is utilized by the body in many functions. It is also used in medicine procedures for colonoscopy.
6. Lactic Acid
Its use in food is proven safe and has no adverse effects to the body. It controls the acidity carbonated beverages, cheeses, and keeps olives from spoiling.
7. Caramel Powder and Cocoa Powder
Caramel powder is a water soluble food coloring. It is one of the oldest food colorings widely used in beverages, beer, brown bread, and more. This food additive was proven safe through scientific testing.
Cocoa powder is a mixture of substances after cocoa butter is extracted from cocoa beans. Cocoa powder is rich in "flavonoids", a nutrient that helps in the prevention of cancer.
Is a form of slow absorbing carbohydrate. It's a natural carbohydrate sugar that's been used for food. Fitness enthusiasts may like it for its prolonged energy source for the body.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier