George Clooney Engagement to Amal Alamuddin: An Open Letter to the Future Mrs. Clooney
By Riza Ornos | May 1, 2014 4:13 PM EST
Known for his reputation with the ladies, Ocean's Eleven star George Clooney recently pop the question on bended knee to human rights lawyer Amal Alamuddin. After the news broke about their engagement, many people were shocked that the actor who is known for his long string of conquests is finally settling down when he proposed on April 22.
The Lebanese born Oxford lawyer introduced the Hollywood actor to her parents when the actor visited Dubai in March, where they spent some time on a yacht with Alamuddin's siblings. "They found George very easy to get along with, cool," says Amal's family member in an interview with People. "They felt at ease with him immediately."
One of the world's notorious serial dater, Clooney proposed to his fiancée with an "ethically mined" emerald-cut diamond flanked by two tapered baguettes set in platinum, according to People. The engagement ring was photographed in Amal's ring finger when the couple attended a party for Cindy Crawford's husband, Rande Gerber, party.
"This was a huge step for him to propose, something of a whirlwind courtship," says People's magazine assistant managing editor, Kate Coyne. "So we ... could be waiting a while."
An Open Letter to the Future Mrs. Clooney has already been published in New York Post.
Well played, Ms. Alamuddin, well played. You are my new personal hero.
But not for the reason you might think. Sure, you've just landed the Moby Dick of celebrity bachelors; the elusive sparkle-eyed Clooney, 52, a man whose brief marriage (to Talia Balsam) and string of relationships with gorgeous women, many of them actresses or models, made him the talk of the tabloid town, a wild thing who could not be made to settle down. Like Matthew McConaughey, Clooney has always been one of a few celebrities who seem to be having a genuinely good time, confident in his own general awesomeness, pleased with his real estate in Lago Como, Italy, and sure of his status as America's Silver Foxy-Foxalicious Boyfriend. He could have gone on like this indefinitely.
Instead, he decided to get engaged to you, a 36-year-old human rights lawyer who is an adviser to Kofi Annan and a scholar who has coedited a book called The Special Tribunal for Lebanon: Law and Practice. Oh, and you're fluent in French, Arabic and English, too.
Well, you'll have to excuse me for getting sentimental for a minute here, but this news - your news, which has, admittedly, absolutely nothing to do with my own happily married life - made me proud. Proud because the engagement - his choice of this lovely, accomplished, 30-something, ambitious woman - is a vicarious triumph for all the single ladies out there, all the smart, accomplished, ambitious, single ladies who are a constant, convenient punching bag for pretty much every self-help book out there that's eager to tell them how they're doing it wrong, they're putting their careers first, ruining their chances of finding a proper mate, ruining their chances of ever having children, should have gotten married at 23, just ruining everything, making a huge mess of it, very bad job, #FAIL.
You're a direct, fantastic rebuke to everything "Princeton Mom" Susan Patton writes about in her book, Marry Smart: Advice for Finding The One , in which she counsels women to get plastic surgery in high school, "find a husband on campus before [they] graduate," and not spend too much time focusing on their careers.
On this particular point, Patton offers bleak words, a sort of Ghost of Christmas Future for any ambitious woman over 30: "You've been so invested in your professional super-stardom that you took your eye off the ball. You have no husband and no children, but the ship has already sailed! It's too late. You don't get to have everything."
Unless, that is, YOU WANT TO MARRY GEORGE CLOONEY.
BOOM, Susan Patton!
BOOM, ridiculous conservative Phyllis Schlafly, who recently insisted that paying women the same as men would hurt the women's chances of finding a mate!
I guess, Amal, that you didn't see the memo about men not liking smart women. Oh, you didn't see that? It's the one that gets reinforced just about every other day in pop culture, encouraging women to dumb it down from the time they're adolescents, in the hopes that staying perky, dim and silent will make him - any him - love you.
As the Clooney/Alamuddin nuptials near, the inevitable articles will appear, talking about the "fairy tale ending" of this glittery union, surely a dream come true for a non-famous, hardworking London woman.
The best part is, it will be horses**t. I look at your accomplishments and I see a life that's already full. Will marriage add a new, wonderful dimension to it? Yes, absolutely. But it won't fill a void that doesn't exist.
"London Human Rights Lawyer Amal Alamuddin Is Engaged," read a hilariousSlate.com headline that went on to detail your many impressive accomplishments. "Her husband-to-be is an American actor and director who played 'Kip Howard' on the television mystery program Murder, She Wrote," read the witty kicker.
There's no greater aphrodisiac than a happy woman with a full life, who is passionate about something besides getting a ring on her finger. Just ask George Clooney.
- Mackenzie Dawson
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Casting: Brothel Guard, Military Officer And More
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet