Australia Regains Number One Spot in ICC Test Cricket Ranking
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | May 1, 2014 4:11 PM EST
Australian cricket finally regained the top spot in ICC rankings test cricket since August 2009.
The win against England in Ashes series by 5-0, followed by winning the test series in South Africa by 2-1, led the team to the supreme position.
Australia's captain Michael Clarke was emphatic after the news as his primary goal for the last 2 years was to see the team attain the top place. The news of the ranking was announced on Thursday.
"There's been a number of tough times and I guess for a team it makes these days even more special and for me personally as captain of this team ... I don't think I've had a more satisfying day or feeling in my career," Clarke said.
The rules of the ICC rankings after every four years do not the count the previous records. This means the team's sordid performance against India in 2011 and loss at Ashes by 3-1 in the same year will not come into account.
Clarke was ecstatic after the news, but he stated if Australia has to retain their position in top place, the team must work hard in the coming years.
"2 years of hard work from all getting to number 1, now it's going to take even more work to stay there. A very proud day!" Clarke posted in Twitter.
"That's our job, our priority, no doubt about it...The fact that two years ago we were ranked number five in the world. As captain of the team I remember, it's still in the front of my mind what was written and said about us once we came back from India ... We were named the worst Australian team to ever tour India and as captain that's the last thing you want to hear ... That breaks your heart so I guess to enjoy today and see the other side in what I think is a pretty quick turn-around, in two years we've gone from number five to number one, I'm extremely proud of that," Clarke added
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’